KarenC's Reviews > Below Zero

it was ok
bookshelves: amateur_sleuths, murder_mystery, dysfunctional_family
Recommended to KarenC by: Continuing series
Read from March 20 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy

Basic premise is to find a girl the Pickett family believes is their missing foster child, April, last seen in Winterkill and believed to have been killed. But the text messages to Sheridan sound very authentic. So, to assuage Joe's guilty conscience for having possibly failed April six years ago, he and Sheridan set out to locate April and possibly bring her home.
April hasn't just run away. She is hooked up with a dying mobster and his psycho son as they coincidentally travel around Wyoming killing people to reduce the mobster's carbon footprint. April is developed as a resourceful teen who sticks with the killers because the mobster is kind to her. Despite this flaw, she has substance and is a dimensional character.
Joe and Sheridan are further developed as a father/daughter team. Wife Marybeth takes on some added depth, as does family friend Nate. The agents of the FBI and the "bad guys" all seem stereotyped and pretty flat, although "Stenko" emerges as the most well developed of that lot. As always, Box seems to get Wyoming in as a significant "character" in the story by describing it very well. I am looking forward to seeing some of the sights he describes one day and I'm sure the description and reality will match up.
Another respectable outing by Box that encourages me to keep reading the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Below Zero.