Catalina's Reviews > The Suitcase

The Suitcase by Sergei Dovlatov

<<“I looked at the empty suitcase. On the bottom was Karl Marx. On the lid was Brodsky. And between them, my lost, precious, only life.”
[...]
But the voyage isn't over. And at the end of my allotted time I will appear at another gate. And I will have a cheap American suitcase in my hand. [...]
"There's a reason every book, even one that isn't very serious, is shaped like a suitcase." >>

You are the sum of your experiences and every book is the expression the author's experiences take. You know something is completely wrong when you can fit everything you have in just one suitcase and you're life can be describe by each and every item inside. Isn't it? Or is it not?

I've been reduced to a sad, close to tears mess since the foreword, I mean from the first page, lol. But at least the book goes on in a sarcastic, cynic tone, so characteristic of Russian dissidents. That at least brought a smile to my lips and made it easier to go through it. It is a small but big book, presenting you with glimpses of what life under communism means. Guess the word that fits perfectly is: heartbreaking!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Suitcase.

Quotes Catalina Liked

Sergei Dovlatov
“There's a reason every book, even one that isn't very serious, is shaped like a suitcase”

Sergei Dovlatov
“Most people consider problems whose solutions don't suit them to be insoluble.
And they constantly ask questions to which they don't need truthful answers.”

Sergei Dovlatov
“Leger died a Communist, having fallen once and for all for the greatest charlatanism of all times. It may be that, like many artists, he was stupid”

Sergei Dovlatov
“I decided to "find myself" in monumental sculpture. Alas, monumental sculpture is a very conservative genre. The cause is the monumentality itself. You can secretly write novels and symphonies. You can secretly experiment on canvas. But just try to hide a twelve-foot-high sculpture!”

Sergei Dovlatov
“[...]Basically, that marble fucker is hanging by a thread. So when the rally starts, stay to the side. And warn your wife."
"But the cream of Leningrad will be standing there! What if the thing falls?"
"Might be for the best, the foreman replied wanly.”

Sergei Dovlatov
“As a schoolboy I liked to draw the leaders of the world proletariat - especially Marx. Just start smearing an ordinary splotch of ink around and you've already got a resemblance...”

February 21, 2016 – Shelved
February 21, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 28, 2016 – Started Reading
February 28, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "Is it bad that I feel like crying after only reading the foreword?"
February 28, 2016 –