Jeff Lanter's Reviews > Avenging Spider-Man: The Good, the Green and the Ugly

Avenging Spider-Man by Kelly Sue DeConnick

it was ok
bookshelves: graphic-novels

I liked the first volume of this series well enough, but this was pretty poor and will be the last volume of Avenging Spider-Man I read. The reasons that I disliked this volume may not necessarily apply to everyone though so read on and see if this book might be for you. The issues collected here are a bit odd and seemingly random. I read these issues on Marvel Unlimited and am disappointed that the issue I did enjoy (which is about Uncle Ben's death and how it affected Peter) is not collected here. I would have raised my review by a star if it was.

Regardless, the shorter stories focused on Spider-Man's allies continue here. One of the characters in the spotlight is Captain Marvel as written by Kelly Sue DeConnick. I really did not enjoy what I read of that book and DeConnick's stiff and unengaging writing style is present in these two issues too. Unfortunately, she can't write a funny Spider-Man and the plot is incredibly boring in these couple of issues too. Deadpool also appears here and I don't have much fondness for the character so that didn't make me feel much better about Avenging Spider-Man. At some point while reading this, I started to think this book feels like an advertisement for other series. The episodic stories aren't especially good and they all seem to tie into the launch of a new book or character. Once I realized that, I knew I couldn't keep reading Avenging Spider-Man. If you like Captain Marvel and Deadpool then you might enjoy this more than I did, but I think overall, this is an average at best collection of issues and the format just doesn't work well enough for this to ever be a memorable series. If you don't mind a pretty average book or want some light, one-off stories then this could be for you, but to everyone else I would recommend trying something else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Avenging Spider-Man.

February 21, 2016 – Shelved