Christine's Reviews > My Man, Michael

My Man, Michael by Lori Foster

Mar 20, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: science-fiction, romance

The odd thing about this book is that it's the reason I started reading this series. I was specifically looking for scifi romance, ran across this title, but when I noticed it was part of a series, I went back to the beginning to read the books in order. All in all, I am so glad I did, because had I read this first, I probably would never have picked up another book by this author.

Since I came at this series from a different perspective than many other readers, I wasn't put off by the abrupt genre switch in the middle of a series, although I can see why others would be. I've never seen a contemporary romance series suddenly go scifi.

For me, the problem was complete and utter inability to suspend disbelief for the world the author created. It reads like a bunch of cheesy scifi cliches (many recognizable from Star Trek) thrown together in a haphazard attempt to create a peculiar setting and character. The things that did not make sense included, but are not limited to:

1. The world's nations have evaporated and formed into colonies, which seem small and relatively self-contained. There wasn't a lot of detail about the government, but it was counter-intuitive.

2. In the future, despite amazing advances in technology, the people have chosen, by mutual consent, to fight hand to hand instead of with guns or bombs. Since human warfare hasn't worked this way since the first caveman picked up a rock and threw it, I just have to go with: SERIOUSLY?

3. There seem to be a shortage of men. At one point, they claim that 3 girls are born for every 1 boy in this colony. Why? If the book attempted to explain, I missed it, and it really, really needed to try to explain that. It needed even more to explain why, in the colony they're fighting, they have a disproportionate numer of male babies. (Um....so why are you fighting?)

4. Even if we take on faith that for whatever random reason, babies are being born disproportionately female, I gotta question why men aren't hooking up with more than one woman. It just seems like the thing nature would do. Instead, we've got a bunch of hoity-toity morals with monogomous unions and a whole lot of frustrated virgins. That makes sense. I don't suppose it occured to anyone that men can father babies on more than one woman at a time? A shortage of women is always a more serious problem.

I'm sure there are more, but really, isn't that enough?

And, as if all that weren't bad enough, I didn't like Michael at all. He was a condescending jerk who kept pushing the heroine even though she kept saying no. No. No. No.

I wish I had something positive to say about this book, since I've been enjoying the other books in the series, but all I can say is that I don't recommend this one. I would even go so far as to say skip it, if you're reading the series.

www.christineamsden.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Man, Michael.

Jacqueline Absolutely right and I obviously agree with you. ;-)