Laurie's Reviews > The Other Side of The Bridge

The Other Side of The Bridge by Katharine Swartz

Feb 21, 2016

The other side of the bridge is a beautifully written time-slip novel (a novel that covers two different time periods) that tells the story of two women,  Ava Lancet and her grandmother, Sophia Paranoussis.

Ava's story -

Takes place in our current day. Grieving over her failing marriage and the loss of her newborn child, Ava makes the impetuous decision to leave England and travel to Greece where she has inherited her grandmother Sophia's farmhouse, which has sat desolate for decades. Ava hadn't even been aware that her grandmother owned a house in Greece. Nevertheless she is determined to travel there and stay in the farmhouse for an indefinite time in the hopes of sorting out her life. Her dreams of a fresh start in her grandmother's native land are quickly shattered when she arrives to find the house in a delapidated state and practically uninhabitable. Alone and without an interim place to stay, Ava has to depend on local residents for help, and to come to terms with her spontaneous decision to move to Greece.  Fortunately for her the village of tight-knit residents are willing to lend a helping hand, especially in light of the fact that her grandmother was known to some of them. Although one particular older resident, Parthenope, becomes highly agitated when she sees Ava, as though her resemblance to her grandmother, Sophia, stirs up bad memories. But what bad memories? As Ava continues to dwell in Greece her curiosity about her grandmother's legacy is kindled, and many secrets about Sophia are slowly revealed. And amidst it all she learns vital lessons about herself that will assist her in piecing her own life back together.

Sophia's story -

Begins during WW2 with the German and Italian invasion of Greece. Sophia, her sister Angelika and their  father live a modest life in Iousidous, a small village in rural Greece. The girls' mother is deceased, and discreet, sensible Sophia works hard both inside and outside of the home to keep the family safe and in tact during the perilous times in which they live. Her younger sister, Angelika, is more of an adventure seeker and foolishly becomes involved with a Greek resistance member to Sophia's utter dismay. The resistance groups don't all work together, and can be as much a nuisance and threat as the Nazis themselves. How could her sister be so careless? Soon Sophia is conscripted to aid the resistance and her life is changed forever.

The alternating narratives of Sophia and Ava's stories was enthralling. Seeing how each of their lives was transformed by very different circumstances made for an interesting read. Katharine Swartz is, to me, Queen of the time-slip novel.  She is very adept at this type of storytelling.  I became acquainted with her books when I read The Vicar's Wife, one of her other time-slip novels, which instantly became one of my favorites. I can always count on her for a good story, and that's what I got with The Other Side of the Bridge. I enjoyed this book very much and would certainly recommend it. I only wish it had been longer.

This book was part of my Kindle Library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side of The Bridge.

February 9, 2016 – Started Reading