Esther ✨'s Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Mar 20, 2011

bookshelves: favourites
Read on November 01, 2016 — I own a copy , read count: 6

Think Maggie Stiefvater can't possibly publish a book as utterly amazing as the Mercy Falls series?
Think again.

The Scorpio Races is sure to make you laugh and cry and say "NO!" more than once. Everything about this book is beautiful - the characters, the setting, the plot, the writing. I don't think I will ever be able to get over how mesmerising Maggie's writing style is. It is so unique and a such breath of fresh air. Opening one of her books is to be lost in the world she creates until it is done with you - not the other way around!
The Scorpio Races has been the only thing on my mind from the moment I began reading the very first page.

I was drawn in immediately by Puck Connolly's sharp and fierce personality. Her and Sean's personalities complimented each other nicely. While Sean was at times frustratingly quiet and reserved, Puck was out spoken and stuck up for herself throughout. They both taught me bravery in different ways. Neither was stronger than the other and in most ways, they seemed equal. It was fascinating to read about them interacting and how they responded to each other. Both so lonely and yet so stubborn. It was like neither made a conscious decision to want to be with the other, they just fell together as if it was the most natural thing to do.

The plot was original and definitely had my heart pounding. I love how much personality was given to the horses - especially Dove. It was nicely realistic, because horses do have such distinct personalities and Dove's shone right through the pages. The idea of the actual Scorpio Races was both absolutely terrifying and completely thrilling at the same time. I was dreading it but also excited because it was the climax to the story. And it did not disappoint.

Last but not least, the ending. Those last few pages had me in tears. No spoilers here! Just, so beautiful in both the descriptions by Maggie and the show of Sean's bravery. He broke my heart more than once with his narration.

The Scorpio Races is a book which I am sure I will be coming back to countless times. Beautiful, well-paced and completely extraordinary. Maggie Stiefvater strikes (my heartstrings) again and does it flawlessly!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.

Quotes Esther ✨ Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“In the middle of all this, as Sean slips out of his jacket, he looks over his shoulder at me and he smiles at me, just a glancing, faint thing before he turns back to Tommy. I'm quite happy for that smile, because Dad told me once you should be grateful for the gifts that are the rarest.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Do you know how to wrap a leg?'
'I was born wrapping legs,' I say stiffly, because I'm insulted.
'Must've been a challenging delivery,' Sean notes.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Tell me what it's like. The race."

"What it's like is a battle. A mess of horses and men and blood. The fastest and strongest of what is left from two weeks of preparation on the sand. It's the surf in your face, the deadly magic of November on your skin, the Scorpio drums in the place of your heartbeat. It's speed, if you're lucky. It's life and it's death or it's both, and there's nothing like it.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I hear laughter and someone asks if I need help, not in a nice way. I snarl, 'What I need is for your mother to have thought a little harder nine months before your birthday.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I say, 'I will not be your weakness, Sean Kendrick.'
Now he looks at me. He says, very softly, 'It's late for that, Puck.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“He is slow, and the sea sings to us both, but he returns to me.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“It's easy to convince men to love you, Puck. All you have to do is be a mountain they have to climb or a poem they don't understand.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Clutter is my natural habitat.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“And I told you before, I'll sell you any of the thoroughbreds.”
“I didn't make any of those thoroughbreds. I didn't make them what they are.”
“You made all of them what they are.”
I don't look at him. “None of them made me who I am.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I might never ride Corr again.
I don't know who I am without him.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I stare at him. "You can't risk not winning. Not because of me."
Sean doesn't lift his eyes from the counter. "We make our move when you make yours. You on the inside, me on the outside. Corr can come from the middle of the pack; he's done it before. It's one side you won't have to worry about."
I say, "I will not be your weakness, Sean Kendrick."
Now he looks at me. He says, very softly, "It's late for that, Puck.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Sean reaches between us and slides a thin bracelet of red ribbons over my free hand. Lifting my arm, he presses his lips against the inside of my wrist. I'm utterly still; I feel my pulse tap several times against his lips, and then he releases my hand.
"For luck," he says. He takes Dove's lead from me.
"Sean," I say, and he turns. I take his chin and kiss his lips, hard. I'm reminded, all of a sudden, of that first day on the beach, when I pulled his head from the water.
"For luck," I say to his startled face.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“You leave nothing to assumption," Dory Maud says. "You swallow her with your eyes. I'm surprised there's any of her left for the rest of us to see.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“She doesn't know any better, what a girl like her needs is a man with both his legs on the land. A man who will hold her down so that she doesn't fly away. She doesn't know yet that someone like you looks better on the shelf than in your hand.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“He was dead before. He knew it, didn't you see it in his eyes? My jacket."
"Your jacket?" I say, with enough force that my shaky voice makes Corr start. "How about 'my jacket, please.' "
Sean Kendrick looks at me, perplexed, and I can see he hasn't a clue of why I'm upset with him. Why I'm upset at all. I can't stop shaking, as if I've taken all of Corr's trembling and made it my own.
"That's what I said," he says after a pause.
"No, it's not."
"What did I say?"
"You said my jacket."
Sean looks a little bewildered now. "That's what I said I said.”

10/30 page 2
02/22 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Melissa Rose I absolutely loved this book and I read some mixed reviews on it and I'm glad to read a review that shared the same opinion of it as I did! Great review!!!