Jewel's Reviews > Wolfsong

Wolfsong by T.J. Klune

bookshelves: review-copy, z-2016-400-499, contemporary, favorite-mm, favorites, five-stars, mm, paranormal, shifter, bisexual-pansexual-mc, z-2018-400-499
Read 2 times. Last read June 19, 2018 to June 21, 2018.

"It smells like feelings in here."

Boy, does it ever! So many feels, people! While reading this book, my friends Todd, Renee and I chatted a bit about it. Nothing terribly specific, because we were all at different points in the book. Renee finished first and Todd asked her: "So, verdict? Awesome? Heartbreaking? Worth it? Wanna punch TJ in the dick? ;- )" ... My only thought was "all of the above..." Yep, I'm sticking with that. Because I couldn't put it down. Even when my heart was in shreds. Even when tears were streaming down my face. Because I knew that TJ would make it ok again (even if I do still kind of want to punch him in the dick for putting me through all that). But was it worth it? Yeah, definitely.

The story Wolfsong tells, spans more than a decade, and takes us from the time Ox Matheson is 12 on through his mid 20's. It was tragic and heartbreaking and so so hopeful. It's about love and choice and what it really means to have a family. It's about sacrifice. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"(yeah, so I kind of channeled Spock, there, so sue me). But that quote just says so much of what this story told. I started reading and I just could not stop.

Told from Ox's POV, the story starts with his father leaving, and telling Ox, once again, that he's not smart and that he will never have anything good. Some people really shouldn't ever be parents. Ox's mother, though, is exactly what a parent should be. And Ox kind of goes through life being what is expected of him. Until one day, he meets Joe. And through Joe's family, Ox learns what it is to have a family and be part of something greater than himself.

"You gotta smell him and then tell me why it's all candy canes and pinecones and epic and awesome."

Even at 10 years old, Joe Bennett was a force of nature. And he grabbed onto Ox with both hands and didn't let go. TJ Klune captured, perfectly, that childlike wonder and excitement. I couldn't help but be a little awed by Joe. And there's a connection that runs deep between him and Ox. A connection that Ox doesn't even grasp. In fact, Ox really is the last to know the depth of it. Joe is just a little kid when they meet, so there are no romantic feelings for many years. But, and when Ox finally notices that Joe is no longer a child -- the awkwardness is so priceless and gets taken to a whole new level (of awesome).

But there is danger ahead. Remember, this is a TJ Klune novel. And he cannot help but make sure your heart gets put through the same wringer he puts his characters through. And for almost half of this book, I wanted howl in pain and sorrow (not to mention the strong desire to inflict bodily harm on a certain author for all the pain!!!). Their separation nearly killed me. I thought it would never end.

"Three years, one month, twenty six days.."

When they are finally reunited, neither Ox, nor Joe are the same men they were before. Life and time and having to hold things together while being apart changed them both. Ox feels angry and abandoned, but the love is still there and it still burns strong, even if it takes Ox a little while to find it again. There is still danger and though it takes Joe too long to figure it out, they are far stronger together than they ever were apart.

"I will always choose you."

There were definitely events I didn't expect and I always love it when an author takes me somewhere I didn't expect to go. And when I finished, all I could wish for was more. 400 pages wasn't enough. I do hope hope hope that we get more. And I hope my heart can take it.

------------------
ARC of Wolfsong was generously provided by the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolfsong.

February 20, 2016 – Shelved
June 19, 2018 – Started Reading
June 19, 2018 – Shelved as: z-2018-400-499
June 19, 2018 –
June 21, 2018 –
100.0% "Second time though and even knowing what was going to happen didn't lessen the impact...or my desire to punch TJ in the junk. Still a gazillion star read!"
June 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)

Simone Great review, Jewel! <3 This book is already on my tbr-list and now I'm really looking forward to read it! :)

Jewel Simone wrote: "Great review, Jewel! <3 This book is already on my tbr-list and now I'm really looking forward to read it! :)"

Thanks, Simone! Bring tissues. Lots and lots of tissues.

Simone Oh my! The tissue industry does already make a fortune because of me at the moment! I just bought a mega box and hoped it would last a while, but apparently not... ;-)

Jewel Simone wrote: "Oh my! The tissue industry does already make a fortune because of me at the moment! I just bought a mega box and hoped it would last a while, but apparently not... ;-)"

Nope. I just hope it lasts through this book!

Simone Well, I'll better buy another one, then! Just in case... :D

Jaela Great review!

Josy Wonderful review, Jewel! I need to buy this one ASAP :)

Elsbeth Ohhhh this looks amazing!!! *added*

Viki Evans Does anyone know when this is released please , sounds so so good and I wanna put in my calendar or even better a count down clock x

message 10: by Josy (last edited May 26, 2016 04:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Josy Viki wrote: "Does anyone know when this is released please , sounds so so good and I wanna put in my calendar or even better a count down clock x"

I pre-ordered it today from Dreamspinner and it's said to be in stock on Monday 20 June 2016. Here's the link: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/stor...

message 11: by Viki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Viki Evans Thankyou very much Josy

message 12: by Josy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Josy Viki wrote: "Thankyou very much Josy"

You're very welcome, Viki :)

message 13: by Fabi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fabi My heart hurts. Sympathy pain.

Great review!

message 14: by Jewel (last edited May 26, 2016 07:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jewel ♔ Jᗩela ☘ Killer ⚔ QUEEN ♛ wrote: "Great review!"

Thank you, Jᗩela!!

Jewel Josy wrote: "Wonderful review, Jewel! I need to buy this one ASAP :)"

Thank you, Josy!

Jewel Viki wrote: "Does anyone know when this is released please , sounds so so good and I wanna put in my calendar or even better a count down clock x"

It's sooo good!

Jewel Fabi wrote: "My heart hurts. Sympathy pain.

Great review!"

Even after sleeping, I'm still kind of reeling from it.

Thanks, Fabi!

Jewel Elsbeth wrote: "Ohhhh this looks amazing!!! *added*"

It is amazing in that way that few can manage. I hope you love it, too, Elsbeth!!

Renée Awesome review! Couldn't have said it better. As awesome and epic as pinecones and candy canes.

Jewel Renée wrote: "Awesome review! Couldn't have said it better. As awesome and epic as pinecones and candy canes."

Thanks, Renee! :)

Claire I want to read this book so badly! Great review Jewel, thank you for making my longing sooo much worse! ;-). Roll on 20th June.........*sigh*

Jewel Claire wrote: "I want to read this book so badly! Great review Jewel, thank you for making my longing sooo much worse! ;-). Roll on 20th June.........*sigh*"

Thanks, Claire! I aim to please. Or is it taunt?? Hmmm ;-)

Secretobcession Great review. Can't wait to read this! Pre-ordered it the other day. It's TJ...so Ugly Wooky Cry Face is mandatory. But then...I love a good book loaded with angst.

Jewel Secretobcession wrote: "Great review. Can't wait to read this! Pre-ordered it the other day. It's TJ...so Ugly Wooky Cry Face is mandatory. But then...I love a good book loaded with angst."

He takes Wookie Cry Face to a whole new level with this one. So so good, though. So good.

Sheziss Great review, Jewel :) .

Jewel Sheziss wrote: "Great review, Jewel :) ."

Thank you, Sheziss! I see you loved it, too! So so so good :)

Sheziss How couldn't I? I didn't stand a chance :) .

Jewel Sheziss wrote: "How couldn't I? I didn't stand a chance :) ."

Word. None of us did. Heh.

Sheziss I can see that, and I'm glad ;D .