Lindsay's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Mar 20, 2011

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, cover-lust, books-i-own, heart-pounding
Recommended for: fans of The Hunger Games

Divergent by Veronica Roth

When people started calling this book the new follow up to the Hunger Games, I became weary. Especially with all the Hype around the blogosphere. As an Avid Reader, half of me gets really excited when people rave about a book and the other half of me freaks out. Because with Hype, you never know if its going to be a book you love or a book you hate. There are times when I read a book and think 'Wow, people are right. This book is FUMAZING!' while others just disappoint me to the point of sadness or anger. But I decided to take a risk by reading this book, and thank god I did.

Divergent tells the story of Beatrice "Tris" Prior and her journey into choosing the faction she will live with for the rest of her life. I have to say, that Veronica Roth's originality is skyrocketing. For a debut author, she has done a fabulous job with her writing. The idea that there are five factions that determine where you live is just genius. There's Dauntless for bravery, Amity for peace, Erudite for knowledge, Abnegation for selflessness, and Candor for honesty.

If it were my choice, I would live in Dauntless. Yes its dangerous, its frightening, its insane. But I feel like I can really relate to Tris because she's so realistic. I mean, I would have chosen Dauntless too. I might have originally would have started as an Erudite but I'd like to face my fears. I absolutely love Four too. Deep in my heart, I loved him despite his faults and I was SO surprised when I found out who he really was. Seriously, those two are absolutely amazing.

The only problem I had with this book was the ending. Seriously, it wasn't just the cliffhanger ending, I just felt it was a little blah. Like, instead of giving us something amazing, we were only given a little piece of the idea and that made me sad because now we have to wait another YEAR for the sequel.

Overall, I loved this book! The plot was heart pounding, the characters were amazing, and I'm absolutely dying for the sequel. Veronica Roth has really started something spectacular and I am anxious to get my hands on the next book.

Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

March 20, 2011 – Shelved
May 13, 2011 – Shelved as: cover-lust
May 13, 2011 – Shelved as: books-i-own
May 13, 2011 – Finished Reading
August 11, 2012 – Shelved as: heart-pounding

Annmarie Ager just wanted to say i really loved the review :D

Cate Well put, although I found the end satisfying enough for now, until the next comes out. The ending might have changed somewhat when she got a three-book deal. All in all, this was a spectacular book and I have a feeling it's going to be a loooooong wait until the next. I felt like I was right with Tris, feeling what she was feeling, the entire time, and fully caught up in the world the author built.

Lindsay Thanks Annmarie. :) I absolutely LOVED the book. And Cate, I am dying to get the sequel as well. Tris is just so relatable! Like I could be her best friend, you know? I'm just unsatisfied with the ending cause I wanted more, you know?

message 4: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute Absolutely love a passionate comment -- and the books and authors that inspire them. Good on you, Lindsay!

Lindsay Thanks Andre! :) I can't help being passionate when the book just gets me you know?

Emmah I just finished reading this book. It's so amazing! I ordered the second book at 2 am xD

Lindsay Lol glad you liked it Emmah! As soon as I get back from my vacation, I'm off to buy all of my favorite books out now including Insurgent! XD

Hari ~Brekker-Maresh~ Love the review :)