Kels's Reviews > The Love That Split the World

The Love That Split the World by Emily Henry

Goodness. It took me entirely too long to finish this book, and the simple reason for that is because I found it to be remarkably slow paced, incredibly boring, and so exceptionally easy to put down.

Although I do have mixed feelings about the writing, overall I believe that Emily Henry's prose rivals many of the seasoned authors in YA fiction that I've read. It's apparent that she took great care when crafting her sentences; they are vivid and detailed without being too clunky or cluttered, and are downright beautiful at times (many times, actually). But I still felt that they lacked that intrinsic spark that pulls you into the story itself. I was left on the sidelines for the entire read, because the text simply wasn't engaging enough to drag me onto the playing field, and that's always a big problem as well as a huge disappointment for me.

Whereas the concept of the story had me intrigued and thoroughly impressed, the plot and the execution failed to do either. Time travel, alternate universes, and anything dealing with the space-time continuum consists of some of my favorite sub-genres to explore, because in real life these concepts intrigue me and I will gladly spend hours watching documentaries and reading peer-reviewed science journals on such topics, just to idly pass time. The problem though, with such speculative fiction, is the many and varied paradoxes that manifests itself inevitably in relation to a break/shift/alter in time. As one can imagine, it gets chaotic. So yeah, it's incredibly hard to avoid plot holes when dealing with such topics, maybe even impossible, but Emily Henry does not even try to tighten them up. She leaves them wide and gaping, and not only does she put minimal effort in trying to close those holes up, but at the ending she throws caution and apparently all good sense to the wind and gets out a machete to slash what little fabric is holding this story together to shreds.

And can I just say that I knew who Grandma was from the start. It was so obvious, and because the majority of this book was centered on "finding Grandma," it made my interest wan and flatline throughout several portions of the book. But my biggest problem with TLTSTW was hands down the romance. For starters, there was no chemistry. NONE. Beau and Natalie was thrown together so unnaturally and forcibly, it made me cringe whenever they made out. It really bothered me how they met, and suddenly fell in love, and when they started picking out their kids name... I may have gagged a little. For me, I wasn't buying it, and it turned me off on Natalie's character with how her world just suddenly shifted to revolve around Beau. You may or may not believe this, but truly I'm a romantic at heart. So trust me when I say, there's nothing romantic about a teenage girl obsessing over a boy she just met.

And that leads me to the twisted ending.

Okay, I had an inkling to how the ending was going to play out, so I wasn't all that surprised, but what caught me completely off guard was the purpose of Grandma's presence in Natalie's life. For one, she was so incredibly evasive and vague in the beginning, but at the ending she was so long winded with her outrageously ridiculous explanations to why she surfaced in her life. Talk about melodramatic and inefficiency, because Grandma is the very definition of both. She could have saved Natalie a whole lot of trouble and aimless wonderings if she just would have freaking spit it out in the beginning. But of course, no, because then we have no book. But what tops that is what Grandma wants Nat to do and how she asks her to do it. I'm not going to spoil the ending for anyone that decides to pick up this book, but let me tell me you how much I hated the ending: A LOT. Like you know that theory that space is ever expanding at an exponential rate that we can't even keep up with? Yeah, you do? Great. So is my hate for the ending of this book. It just keeps on growing the more I think about it, because how freaking ridiculous.

There were other things, too, that annoyed me. Like how Nat's family conveniently faded into the background as well as her friendships, and her ENTIRE social life. But again, that tends to happen when you make a person the center of your universe.

Emily Henry's debut novel has been embraced with warm hugs, and a great deal of five star ratings--so feel free to consider this review as an outlier--but there were just so many fails happening in The Love That Split the World that I feel completely generous handing out two stars to this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Love That Split the World.

February 20, 2016 – Started Reading
February 20, 2016 – Shelved
February 26, 2016 –
page 21
5.3% "Would it have been so hard to give her a specific name? I mean, because that's really annoying me. Like, she gave her Alice Chan, but couldn't give her the other one. Le sigh."
February 26, 2016 –
page 45
11.36% "It annoys me that the author included an incorrect version of the Haudenosaunee legend of The Maiden of Mist. That particular version is a false representation originally intended to demonize the Seneca tribe, and was purported as truth by a Niagara Falls company in 1846 to launch and attract attention for their new boat ride. However, it's obvious that Mrs. Henry had no malicious intent, but still, research people."
February 28, 2016 –
page 202
51.01% "This still has not picked up for me. I'm just so ready to finish this book, but I keep finding excuses to put it down. Sigh."
page 331
83.59% "Oh my freaking gosh... are they seriously discussing their future children name?! For one, they barely know each other. Two, they just graduate high school. Ugh."
page 363
91.67% "It took Natalie entirely too long to figure out who Grandmother was. Just saying."
page 375
94.7% "This is so seriously screwed up. It's BS, that's what it is."
March 1, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

Neil (or bleed) Excellent review, Kelly. :)

Kels Thank you, Neil!! ^.^

message 3: by Pearl (new)

Pearl Angeli Great review, Kelly! I always see this book going around instagram. LOL. I will keep in mind the things you said here. :)

Kels Thank you, Pearl! I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to liking this book, but I think I would have liked it so much more if not for the ending. I look forward to reading your thoughts on it, if you decide to pick it up! :) Hopefully you have better luck with it than I did! <3

message 5: by Emma Ruth (new)

Emma Ruth Wonderful review Kelly :) How disappointing that this book didn't live up to your expectations, it sure sounded like it had a lot of potential.

Kels Thank you, Emma! It really sucks because this was one of my most anticipated reads, but yeah, it just wasn't for me in the end. :/

message 7: by Tamara (new) - added it

Tamara It's so hard to find a book about time travel and alternate universes these days :( Great review Kelly!!

Aj the Ravenous Reader You're like one of the most eloquent reviewers here, Kelly. I love the way you express your intelligent thoughts and super smart insights. A big fan here! <3 Despite this being a negative review, I think this is very constructive.

Kels Tamara wrote: "It's so hard to find a book about time travel and alternate universes these days :( Great review Kelly!!"

Yes, yes, I agree! I think it's because it really takes a lot of research and understanding on the author's part to make for a plausible, believable plot. But with this book, the romance just added insult to injury, in my opinion.

message 10: by Kels (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kels Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "You're like one of the most eloquent reviewers here, Kelly. I love the way you express your intelligent thoughts and super smart insights...."

Oh my gosh!! Aj that is so incredibly sweet of you to say! You, ma'am, have made my day, possibly my week. Heck, my month at the very least! :) I'm a huge fan of yours too, my dear!! <3 Thanks you for the comment, beautiful!! ^.^

message 11: by Aj the Ravenous Reader (last edited Mar 02, 2016 08:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aj the Ravenous Reader Aw, I'm just stating a mere observation here, sweetie. Glad the truth doesn't hurt this time. hehehe. <3 <3 <3

message 12: by Kels (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kels Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Aw, I'm just stating a mere observation here, sweetie. Glad the truth doesn't hurt this time. hehehe. <3 <3 <3"

LOL!! You're freaking awesome, and funny, and I bet you give the world's best hugs. What I'm saying is: never change! <3 :D

Aj the Ravenous Reader Lol! Right back at ya, Kelly! <3 <3 <3 *sending you the world's best hug*

message 14: by Kels (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kels YESSSS!! *pretty much in heaven* hehe!! <3 <3 <3 Xoxo!!

message 15: by Tamara (new) - added it

Tamara Kelly wrote: "Tamara wrote: "It's so hard to find a book about time travel and alternate universes these days :( Great review Kelly!!"

Yes, yes, I agree! I think it's because it really takes a lot of research a..."

It was obvious the book was going to be romance heavy from the title but I hoped it'd at least have a great plot *sigh*

message 16: by Kels (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kels Yeah, I kind of figured that out too, but I had heard so much about "depth" and "culture" and "history" being thrown around that I thought that despite the romance heavy plot, it would still be a balanced read. Though those terms were thrown around, so to speak, they were never really grounded, and I think that just added to the fail of this book. *sighs with you*

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Beautiful, honest review, Kelly! ;)

message 18: by Kels (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kels Sarah wrote: "Beautiful, honest review, Kelly! ;)"

Thank you, Sarah!! <3

message 19: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Lovely honest review, Kelly! :D

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra I was looking forward to this book. Too bad you didn't like it. :(

message 21: by Kels (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kels Beatrice wrote: "Lovely honest review, Kelly! :D"

Thank you, Beatrice! <3 :D

message 22: by Kels (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kels Aria wrote: "I was looking forward to this book. Too bad you didn't like it. :("

You should still give it a try! I'm standing on the opposite side of the fence, which tends to happen to me, lol. But if you do decide to check it out, I look forward to reading your thoughts on it, Aria! :D <3

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Kelly wrote: "Aria wrote: "I was looking forward to this book. Too bad you didn't like it. :("

I tend to always belong to that group of people too though. Haha. But I do hope I end up liking it.