Rob's Reviews > Colonel Roosevelt

Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris

M 50x66
Mar 20, 2011

bookshelves: audio-book, digital, own-it, unabridged, biography, history, non-fiction, my-review
Read in March, 2011

I have read all three Morris biographies. I am a fan of Roosevelt and enjoy the historical detail and context that Morris conveys in all three biographies.

One negative about this volume is Morris' obsession for demonstrating a high level command of English, French and German vocabulary. He desires to impress the reader of this fact, over and over again. It was the most distracting aspect of the book.

In another review, a reader commented, in this third Morris volume, the author tired of the subject. I agree, at many points, the research and information was conveyed dryly, almost out of obligation. At times the book felt like a text book with only superficial analysis and connection of the information.

The book started slowly. The first third of the book on his African safari, travel through Europe and lead up to his failed 1912 campaign was needlessly too detailed. The book became far more interesting and relevant once his 1912 campaign began. The pace improved to the end.

I have given this book 4 stars because I enjoy reading and learning about Roosevelt. This book enabled me to learn more about this favorite topic. While I learned more about Roosevelt I am partially excusing the fact that the connection of the information and the style of writing is lacking for me.

Roosevelt was an amazing human. Very complex, imperfect, flawed, self absorbed,stubborn,in need of power and attention, paradoxical, brilliant and also a great American . He had incredible leadership skills, vision and foresight. This book gave more insight into the man and the times he lived. He was the first great American of the 20th century. He reflected the growing values and problems and positives of 20th Century America, like no one else. He was a harbinger of the what was to follow in that century.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Colonel Roosevelt.