orannia's Reviews > Mélusine

Mélusine by Sarah Monette

bookshelves: m-m, re-read

** spoiler alert ** Where to start? Firstly, did the book work for me? The answer is a resounding YES! A caveat: this book is what is known as 'dark fantasy' and it is, while slightly humourous in places, very, very dark. Nasty, nasty things happen to the characters, things that only in the depths of depraved humanity would people inflict on others. Sometimes I'm not sure which is worst, specific, vivid details or my imagination filling in the gaps. This book had both!

Interestingly for a fantasy book (or at least the ones I've read), Mélusine is written in the first person, which I have to admit to not being a huge fan of. However, in this book it worked, maybe because the reader moves between the POV of the two main (male) protagonists - Mildmay the Fox and Felix Harrowgate. As the story develops, we get a very clear picture of both Felix and Mildmay. Often when I read books written in the first person I feel like I am getting a sanitised view. In Mélusine everything is raw, which meant that our impressions of the characters and the emotions the words evoke were, for me, just as raw. Both Mildmay and Felix have a strong voice. I just loved Mildmay's self-deprecating humour:

'I trailed along after Felix all fu*king afternoon. We hit this kind of goat track after a while - and if you ask how I know it was for goats, it was because they were standing around laughing at us the whole way.'

And his matter-of-fact way of looking at situations:

'I met Ginevra Thomson in the ordinary way of business. She was looking for a cat burglar. I was looking for a client.'

Mildmay has one face, which is not to say that he is one-dimensional, because he is far from it. (There is definitely more to Mildmay that meets the eye.) I guess what I'm trying to say is that while Mildmay uses many pseudonyms he is, for the most part, comfortable in his own skin, with who and what he is.

Felix is Mildmay's diametrical opposite. I have heard that Felix is a love him/hate him character. I loved him. We see so many different sides to Felix as the book progresses and not all of them are nice. Felix runs from himself, hides himself within layers. In parts he isn't...likeable, but I was drawn to him. His madness was...interesting, and I spent most of the book thinking he wasn't completely mad. His magic was (IMO)...warped, and so he saw things others didn't. The big turning point for me with Felix was early on in the book, when he almost started down the path of his abuser. Instead, he looked inside himself, realised where he was going and decided he needed to be punished...by the one person who could truly, in his mind, punish him. So he went back to his abuser. That one small scene told me how broken Felix truly was.

Yes the author does kind of throw you in (at the deep end) to the story. No mass info dumping (because otherwise there would be nothing else as the world Mélusine inhabits is incredibly rich and complex, and different and yet at the same time not. I enjoyed stumbling over the occasional Earth-like references - Mark Polaris the explorer for example. There were definitely some VERY long sentences, that were a little confusing at times and had to be re-read. Then again, they could be likened to someone's thoughts. And thoughts can and do...ramble. It just meant I had to concentrate that much harder, which wasn't a bad thing as the imagery evoked was so vivid. I will echo all the reviews I have seen to date (including a marvellous review by The Book Smugglers at Fantasy Café) and suggest checking the author's website for a guide on the calenderical system and a map of Mélusine. However, where all the various suburbs in the city were didn't worry so much as where all the countries were. I spent the initial part of the book trying to remember what other book the Lower City reminded me of...then I remembered. Tamora Pierce's Terrier, although Terrier is a YA book and so sanitized to a certain extent. In Mélusine the depravities that humans can inflict on each other were very apparent.

The lack of a map was, however, a minor issue. I didn't want to put the book down and kept getting annoyed at how pesky things (like life) kept interfering. So I had to snatch pages here and there - not the best way to read a book such as this. Then again, considering how dark some scenes were, a break might have been beneficial. I think for The Virtu I will deliberately start reading it on a weekend so I am not interrupted! And the last 10 pages of the book just ripped at my heart - it was raw and I loved it!

My review can also be read here:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mélusine.

Started Reading