Riley's Reviews > Salt to the Sea

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys

bookshelves: books-for-review

Update: Here is my video review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oubBC...

This book is a masterpiece. It takes place during WW2 and follows 4 characters as they are seeking freedom on the Wilhelm Gustloff, a ship that promises safety to all. Going into it I was very apprehensive about reading it. Historical fiction is not a genre I typically reach for. But this book blew me away. It's safe to say that this book was the best book I have read this year.

The writing in the book was so phenomenal. The way that Ruta laid out the story through her writing was so just beautiful. I felt like every single word in this novel had a purpose. There were these sentences that she would lace throughout the different points-of-view to connect them that I just thought was so brilliant.

Out of the four main characters I loved 3 of them. I felt so much for them and their struggles. Towards the end of the book I felt like they were people I knew and I desperately wished I could change their fate. I also LOVED the side characters just as much as the main. The one main character I didn't like was a character that you aren't suppose to like so that wasn't necessarily a problem. I just didn't find myself enjoying his chapters as much as the others.

This is a book that I know will stick with me and I am going to be thinking about these characters forever. You definitely won't want to miss this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salt to the Sea.

February 19, 2016 – Started Reading
February 19, 2016 – Shelved
February 19, 2016 –
page 21
5.34% "Okay. I went into this with extremely low expectations and I am blown away already"
page 50
12.72% "I'm really loving all the characters so far. Joana is my favorite as of now"
page 134
34.1% "I knew that was coming eventually but that was so sad"
page 202
51.4% "I'm so in love with this book right now. I've cried twice already. I want to go to sleep but I can't stop reading."
February 22, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Christine Antosca I know which character you're talking about because his chapters didn't do anything for me either. But overall I loved this book.

Jordyn Lyles I love this book. Best book I've read so far this year. I could not put the book down to save my life.☺☺☺ Just loved it. Florian was my fav.