Tentatively, Convenience's Reviews > Paranoid Women Collect Their Thoughts : A Paranoia Anthology

Paranoid Women Collect Their Thoughts  by Joan d'Arc

bookshelves: politics
Recommended for: all open-minded non-paranoids

The whole issue of "paranoia" is interesting. I generally find people that I consider to be "paranoid" a total drag - they're often pot-heads w/ delusions of grandeur. On the other hand, W. S. Burroughs espoused the idea of "practical paranoia" - meaning paranoia based on a non-naive understanding of the ways of the world (& of police states) - & I agree w/ him about that. It's "practical paranoia" to take for granted that yr phone's tapped if you're a political activist in this, & most, countries.

This bk presents stories of & by women that might be most often tagged as crazy my most people: UFO abductees, microwave harrassment, synthetic telepathy, etc.. For me, though, I find much or most or all of it clearly & believably presented. There's even a section by political researcher extraordinaire Mae Brussell called "Why Was Patty Hearst Kidnapped?" in wch the SLA is presented as largely a CIA & police informer creation.

The only downside of my reviewing this bk is that after I read it I was so enthusiastic that I wrote its editor/publisher, Joan D'Arc & sent her a large package of my own publications & asked her if she wd trade. She wrote back saying she wd but then never did. I think she might've been moving or some such at the time so her not having traded cd very well be an unintentional side-effect of that. Nonetheless, people who won't communicate directly or trade are usually suspect as capitalists to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranoid Women Collect Their Thoughts .

Finished Reading
February 15, 2008 – Shelved
February 15, 2008 – Shelved as: politics

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Joan (new)

Joan D'Arc I liked your review (this being 13 years later) and I'm sorry I didn't come through with the trade. I always sent free stuff and I'm not a capitalist.

Tentatively, Convenience Hey! No problem! Thanks for commenting. I hope all is well with you. Sorry that I even suspected you of capitalism. That was one of my early reviews when they were brief. Too bad I'm not reading it for the 1st time now b/c I'd write a much longer review & I'm sure I'd do the compilation more justice.