Alison's Reviews > The Dog Stars

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller

Feb 05, 2017

bookshelves: dcpl_elibrary, ebook, fiction

This is post-apocalyptic fiction, wherein the world (or at least the US) has fallen apart due to a one-two punch of a flu epidemic followed by a "blood disease." Naturally, there's a third wave of deaths as people band together and defend themselves. This picks up after that third wave has slackened off, and follows a man living at an airport with his dog and another man. He can fly, and makes occasionally reconnaissance flights around the area. The book is very much about him and his relationships, though there are some violent parts as they defend thier airfield. If you like post-apocalyptic fiction, you'll like this.

I did have one moment where this hit a bit too close to home. I had looked on my library ebook holds list, seen that this was available, and beamed it to my kindle before heading to the airport on January 20. I had forgotten what it was about - just knew that it was something I wanted to read and I could get it that minute. I started reading at the airport, while the Inaguration played on the TVs at the gate. On page two, during the actual swearing in, I encountered this:

"Did you ever read the Bible? I mean sit down and read it like it was a book? Check out Lamentations. That's where we're at, pretty much. Pretty much lamenting. Pretty much pouring our hearts out like water."

Indeed.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dog Stars.

February 19, 2016 – Shelved