Julie Christine's Reviews > Breaking Wild

Breaking Wild by Diane Les Becquets

A taut literary thriller with fierce characters, a breathtaking setting, and nuanced, beautiful prose? Sign me the hell up. Diane Les Becquets has crafted an exceptional novel that strips the layers of human emotion to the barest instincts of survival. She pins the reader to a map of northwest Colorado and holds her fast to the exquisite agony of wonder: will Amy Raye survive?

Amy Raye Latour is an experienced outdoors woman who hunts elk with a bow and arrow. On the final morning of a hunting trip in late autumn, she sets out alone, tracking an elk. The weather turns and suddenly Amy Raye is lost, injured, and easy prey for a roaming mountain lion. It is a full two days before a search is launched, but at the head of the response team is Pru Hathaway, a highly-skilled mountain ranger. The search and rescue effort becomes search and recovery as mountain conditions deteriorate and physical evidence indicates Amy Raye met with a violent end. As the circumstances of Amy Raye's personal life come to light, the possibility of suicide or foul play adds to the tension of her disappearance and the profound emotional resonance of this superb novel.

The narrative alternates between Pru and Amy Raye, the latter's story always a couple of days behind, adding to the suspense. But Breaking Wild is more than an outdoors survival story or a nature thriller. It is a story of losses and upheavals and what our souls must do to survive life's worst shocks. Both women are damaged and have chosen to respond to the world in unusual and often unhealthy ways. What they have most in common, however, is a deep love of this harsh and unforgiving land and a profound emotional and physical connection to the natural world.

Without indulging in any manner of editorializing, Les Becquets shows women who are comfortable and confident, physically strong and technically skilled in a landscape that is nearly always the terrain of men. Les Becquets herself is an accomplished backcountry trekker and hunter and called upon her own experiences to show these women at home in the wildest of spaces.

A transcendent novel that reveals the power and capacity of the human spirit to endure. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking Wild.

February 19, 2016 – Shelved
February 19, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 12, 2016 – Started Reading
July 13, 2016 –
page 45
14.56% "Right. Put the book down, Julie, and get to work. It will be there waiting tonight. \n \n This is going to be a good one, I can tell already!"
July 15, 2016 –
page 144
46.6% "I've recommended this book 5 times in the past two days and I'm not even halfway through. That good."
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: american-west
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: best-of-2016
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary-fiction
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: mystery-crime-thriller
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
July 18, 2016 – Shelved as: usa-contemporary
July 18, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Joe (new) - added it

Joe Valdez You just sold me a book, Julie. This sounds like a taut and serious thriller as opposed to gimmicky.

message 2: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol Thank the stars that be...finally someone who liked this as much as I did. I thought it was excellent.

Great review BTW.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Marro I am interested in books that put women at the forefront of the story and pits them against nature and themselves. I'm adding it.

Julie Christine Joe wrote: "You just sold me a book, Julie. This sounds like a taut and serious thriller as opposed to gimmicky."

Oh, not gimmicky at all! Just damn fine reading!

Julie Christine Carol wrote: "Thank the stars that be...finally someone who liked this as much as I did. I thought it was excellent.

Great review BTW."

Carol- thank you! I can't believe this isn't being more widely read. It's outstanding. I'm doing my part by shouting it from the rooftops!

Julie Christine Elizabeth wrote: "I am interested in books that put women at the forefront of the story and pits them against nature and themselves. I'm adding it."

Oh, Betsy. You will love this. She's an extraordinary writer. I'm in awe.