Zarina's Reviews > Red Queen

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

While there is no denying that this book has been heavily influenced by The Hunger Games; from the Queenstrials and a location eerily similar to District 13, to the political games and the nickname 'Little Lightning Girl' (hello 'Girl on Fire'), this was nonetheless an outstanding read with a really sinister twist towards the end.

With a kick-ass protagonist, a really well thought-out plot which became more action-packed with each passing page, and a very accessible writing style, this novel also single-handedly has made me interested in exploring more YA fantasy novels, something which I didn't think possible as beyond Tolkien novels and some Dutch fantasy children's classics this has never been a genre that has particularly interested me (*cough* Game of Thrones *cough*).

It's a testimony to Victoria Aveyards compelling storytelling, which pulls the reader completely in, as well as her intriguing world-building, that I was so enthralled by her story that I read the book in pretty much a single day (minus the first few pages which I read a day prior) and I'm now desperate for more YA fantasy. Luckily this genre is very 'in' right now, and there's a wealth of interesting titles for me to explore, from The Queen of the Tearling to the Sarah J Maas books. I can't wait!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Queen.

February 19, 2016 – Started Reading