Kylie's Reviews > The Monster's Corner: Stories Through Inhuman Eyes

The Monster's Corner by Christopher Golden

liked it
bookshelves: horror-and-paranormal, short-story-collections

As is usual with anthology collections there was the usual mix of excellence and mundanity. However, I think overall this just snuck into 'good' rather than 'meh'.

My absolute favourite story was Sarah Pinborough's 'The Screaming Room'. I love Medusa and this was so twisted it was perfect. I also really enjoyed 'Rattler and the Mothman' since I am interested in Forteana; this felt like it should be an opening chapter or story to a larger volume along the same lines. Rattler is an interesting character, I hope he pops up again. Jeff Strand's 'Specimen 313' was surprisingly cute for a story about man-eating plants; another one I hope to find elsewhere or will buy this anthology for. 'Torn Stitches, Shattered Glass' was an interesting take on the story of Frankenstein's Creation via anti-Semitism in WWII; my only issue was that it blended references to both the novel and the Universal film (which are quite different at times), and that made me less absorbed in the story.

There were also a couple I felt had potential but were not up to the standard they could be; 'Less of a Girl' was too short for the reader to really make sense of, and 'And Still You Wonder Why Our First Instinct is to Kill You' had some really great ideas but it's deliberately jumbled and felt too cobbled together to be really satisfying for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monster's Corner.

February 19, 2016 – Started Reading