Claire Williamson's Reviews > Taking Mesopotamia

Taking Mesopotamia by Jenny Lewis

Moving across voices and time, the poet captures a story that is at once deeply personal (seeking a father in words, images and other WW1 accounts), contemporary (near present experiences of Iraq and conflict) and mythical (Gilgamesh). There are other poems too that make links to roots in Wales and the bigger questions around displacement and war.

As a reader, it would be easy to feel disorientated in such an undertaking, but this was not my experience. What I felt was the yearning of each voice and the enchantment of words. The Welsh Horse, for example, is mesmerising in its form and content. It exemplifies the rest of the text in some ways, as it moves across time and space, a witness and a participant.

I felt the resonance of the writing journey and it reinforced a belief I have about poetry engendering geographical journeys, meetings and pilgrimages.

I felt the aliveness of the topics covered (past and present) and how gently the author brought difficult truths forward, which seemed to me to be the most subtle skill of the collection, collapsing time.

There were many overlaps with the MSc in Creative Writing for Therapeutic Purposes in its capacity and particularly the way other people's accounts in poetry or prose poems are managed.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taking Mesopotamia.

February 14, 2016 – Started Reading