Rift Vegan's Reviews > Eating Stone: Imagination and the Loss of the Wild

Eating Stone by Ellen Meloy

did not like it
bookshelves: 2016, burroughs-medal

The writing in this book is beautiful... I seriously wanted my kindle in one hand and a paintbrush in the other because I'm sure my paintings would be as beautiful as the desert scenes Ellen Meloy paints with her words! Unfortunately, the beautiful writing did not save this book. The title is what attracted me to this book, I wanted to read about "Imagination" and being out in the Wild, but EM barely mentions it.

And I didn't learn much about Bighorn Sheep, either, other than they are pretty hard to find in the wild. Literally, she's half way through the book before she mentions that it's easy to recognize individual sheep in a band. I suppose she thinks in terms of the entire band and how sheep can't survive as individuals. Oh, except for Sheep 69, who she talks about often, who survived for years after her entire band was wiped out by disease (introduced by domesticated sheep and humans).

And finally the clincher for the One Star rating. EM eats sheep. Not only does she eat them, she ate one that had a name, who she had watched for years. Sheep 1,000 was a ram who had a radio collar, he was instantly recognizable and he was one of her friend's favorite rams, in fact. But when he was murdered by a legal hunter, who only wanted a trophy and gave away the corpse, EM had few compunctions about eating One Thousand.

That scene just broke my heart. It made me lose hope in humanity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eating Stone.

February 18, 2016 – Shelved