Mickey Reed's Reviews > The Lonely Hearts Club

The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, ereader
Recommended for: Fans of YA, fans of humorous high school books.

My copy of this book on my nook was completely awful. I think the pdf file didn't convert correctly or something because words were misspelled, commas were everywhere, punctuation and capitalization were terrible, etc. Somehow I saw past all that, which is extremely difficult for me. I did finish this, and I am glad I did. I enjoyed this quick read, even though I found it almost disturbing at times. I tried to take it as just entertainment, but honestly, some aspects were a little off. Penny Lane gets burned by a family friend's son and decides to swear off boys completely. Maybe she should have just stopped picking jerks instead. Sounds easier said than done for some people I suppose, and this was high school, so it's all drama. Anyway, a previous friend who had dropped her once she got a boyfriend got dumped, and Penny's other friend couldn't ever find someone to date her, so they basically started a "girls rule boys drool" club of sorts. The basic foundation made sense to me: don't drop your friends or change your personality for a new boyfriend. You should be able to be yourself no matter what, and you should stick with your friends always. Soon Penny finds that this no dating rule isn't applicable if the guy you want to date isn't a jerk! Isn't that funny how that works. Anyway, I guess things worked out in the end. This review sounds cynical, but sometimes it's just too convenient to break the rules. I did enjoy the story, and I wish more girls would make better decisions when it comes to dating and how it changes them.

The Beatles references were abundant and almost exhausting. The parents were a tad nutso, but they loved their girl and stood up for her when she needed it. It was nice to see Penny stand up for herself, too, and not fall for the old tricks from the same men in her life. Also, I laughed throughout this novel, so I will give Eulberg's next novel a chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lonely Hearts Club.

March 19, 2011 – Shelved
April 19, 2011 – Started Reading
April 19, 2011 –
page 31
10.69% "On the NOOK. Not great so far."
April 20, 2011 –
page 68
23.45% "Eh. Getting better I guess."
page 75
25.86% "Read a little on break :o)"
page 112
page 173
59.66% "Hmm. I think I see where this is going."
April 23, 2011 –