Deanna (A Novel Glimpse)'s Reviews > Combative

Combative by Jay McLean

Jay McLean shocked me with this intense story. I knew the writing was going to be great, it is Jay McLean after all. I just didn't realize how different it was going to be from what I've read from her before.
I don't want to give too much of the story away, but Combative is a story told from two different view points. The first is Ky. He's just returned from four tours of duty and feels unworthy of still being alive. It's gotten him into some trouble with the law, and now he's stuck helping out the police to save himself from prison.

The second point of view is Madison's. She just moved into Ky's apartment building. She's beautiful and Ky can't stop himself from wanting her. Madison is kind of a mystery. She's got some issues, but she keeps them a secret.
Ky and Madison try to keep things simple and friendly, but they can't stop themselves from falling for each other. Soon, his feelings for Madison are distracting Ky from the job he's meant to do.

I was sucked into mystery of Combative from the very beginning. I loved Ky and the sweetness he hid under his tough guy exterior. He was so good with Madison and her quirks. At times I wanted him to push her a little harder for information on her past, but I enjoyed the build up not having that information gave the story. Madison's thoughts were confusing and intrigued me. I couldn't wait to see where her storyline was headed.

I also loved the mystery surrounding the other characters in the book. I wanted to know who Nate DeLucca really was and what he was up to. I wanted to know what Jackson's motives really were. All of the mystery around everyone was so suspenseful and intense. I was always slightly confused and excited to see what was going to happen next.

And the cliffhanger!!! Crazy! I need book 2 now!

Combative was an intriguing book filled with mystery, suspense and romance. Anyone who enjoys intense books shroud in secrecy will love this one.

**I received an electronic copy of Combative in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Combative.

February 18, 2016 – Started Reading