Becky's Reviews > Forever Safe

Forever Safe by Jody Hedlund

bookshelves: read-in-2016

I have long been a fan of Jody Hedlund's historical romances. My favorite of her novels has always been A Noble Groom (swoon!), but Forever Safe is giving it a run for its money!

Forever Safe is about heiress Victoria Cole, who is engaged to fiancé number three when the story begins. Her current fiancé Nathaniel seems like a nice enough man, but it's obvious that Victoria doesn't love him. It's also obvious that someone is out to harm Victoria. When her current bodyguard is injured, Tom Cushman agrees to become her temporary bodyguard. As the threats against Victoria increase, the wedding is postponed, and Tom and Victoria's father decide to hide her away at the lighthouse run by Tom's father. In order for Tom to be able to stay with Victoria, the two marry, though the marriage is to be temporary. Of course, we romance readers all know how that will turn out!

At first, Victoria was the classic spoiled rich girl, and I found it hard to like her. But as the novel progressed, Victoria grew so much as she learned to care for others—specifically Tom and Tom's mother Zelma. I especially loved Victoria's relationship with Zelma, who is disabled.

And then there's James, Tom's father. James might be my favorite character in the novel! He loooooves Zelma passionately. PDA is his best friend. He senses a distance between Tom and Victoria, and, believing them to be married in every sense, he continually pushes them together. Tom and Victoria's (smoking hot) first kiss is due to James's insistence. I got such a kick out of him!

Sparks abound between Victoria and Tom, and there's never any doubt that the two are meant to be together. Their path to happiness isn't easy, however, and I did find the roadblocks to be pretty realistic. They both had major fears to contend with (Victoria's fears are what led her to be a runaway bride in the first place), but ultimately—of course—they worked through them.

There's also the question of who is out to get Victoria, but I really didn't care too much about that—I was just there for the romance! I did figure out the villain's identity fairly early on, and I was surprised it took Tom so long. But that's a minor complaint, as the romance is just so good!

Though Forever Safe isn't a perfect novel, it does feature the strongest romance in the Beacons of Hope series (so far!), which makes it my favorite. 4-1/2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever Safe.

February 18, 2016 – Shelved