Jay Miklovic's Reviews > The Bondage of the Will

The Bondage of the Will by Martin Luther

Mar 19, 2011

bookshelves: favorites

This book was very difficult to get through because so much was packed in each sentence. While reading this book I found myself on a number of occasions reading less than a page in a sitting. With that said, this book was worth the effort.

Luther absolutely obliterates Erasmus, and he is anything but cordial in doing so. This book is laden with sarcasm, insult, and downright nastiness at times. This book is as intense as a polemic could be. While I typically tire of fundamentalist polemics, this book carried with it something so much deeper than contemporary fundamentalist bickering. As you come to conclusion of this book you see Luther's heart in the entire matter. Erasmus and his Diatribe, were a convenient foil to a much greater issue in the mind of Luther. Luther's obliteration of Erasmus was really an obliteration of even the slightest notion that someone would contribute anything to the grace of God in salvation.

I highly recommend this book, but have a few pots of coffee and a bottle of painkillers with you because your mind is going to be tired and hurting as you plod through it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bondage of the Will.

March 19, 2011 – Shelved
page 264
April 11, 2011 – Finished Reading
December 13, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites

message 1: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay Miklovic This book has been fun to read so far. I'll be honest and admit that I cannot follow all of his arguments, but it is for the most part clear. Frankly I enjoy seeing how pointed Luther was, and in many ways he was plain sarcastic and rude. I now have insight to why lcms Lutherans battle the way they do!

It would be good to read this book and Erasmus's work on free-will side by side, then the arguments would be a touch easier to follow.