Vivian's Reviews > Ten Little Dinosaurs

Ten Little Dinosaurs by Pattie Schnetzler

it was ok
bookshelves: picture-books

Even though this appears to be a show-stopper candidate it fails to deliver, at least for a library pre-school story time.
1) the eyes are weighted in such a way that when held up the iris's point to the ceiling and all the children can see are the whites. It is meant to be held on a lap and shared with an adult and a child.
2) it begins with the "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" motif but then strays to activities that older children relate to, such as biking, rafting, cliff-jumping, skate-boarding, being cool, camping, attending ball games, and finally sunbathing.
3) it employs name calling, such as "boneheads", "nut-brains", "feather-heads", "big mouths" and so on. As a story performer I substituted the name of the dinosaur rather than these labels.
4) it is a bit disturbing that some of the accident victims actually perished -- hence, overall this is a story about dinosaur EXTINCTION rather than dinosaur rowdiness. Ah well.

I did use it with the crowd and it was entertaining to them. But I am retiring this from my story time collection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Little Dinosaurs.

Started Reading