Lacey Louwagie's Reviews > Wedding Readings: Centuries of Writing and Rituals on Love and Marriage

Wedding Readings by Eleanor Munro

Mar 18, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: romance, religion, poetry, non-fiction, wedding

I just finished copying down readings from this book into two documents: one of possible readings for Ivan's and my wedding, and one of readings that I don't want at our wedding, but that spoke to my experience of falling in love and making this decision in a way that really rings true. The latter document contains the best of this book, but feels so deeply personal that I wouldn't feel comfortable using the writings in a public ceremony. Instead, I plan to copy them into my journals and further reflect upon them.

So after completing this project, it's easy to believe this is a wonderful book -- after all, I've just relived the best of the best in it! But it's really a rather odd little book. I appreciate that it pulls together readings from multiple faith traditions and that they are both religious and secular; some of them are pragmatic and practical, others passionate and flowery. Indeed, I think everyone could find something to suit their own unique brand of love and commitment within these pages. Still, some of the selections struck me as just plain *odd* -- a few that were very sexual in nature and that I can hardly imagine someone using in even the most intimate of ceremonies, some which paint marriage as a bit of necessary drudgery, and even one in which the bride talks about loving the attention she receives on her wedding day, but dreading life with her groom! While I like the many different angles presented in this book, I'd like to know who would actually use some of this stuff in their wedding!

A nice bit of wisdom to leave you with, from my second document:

"I will reveal to you a love potion, without medicine, without herbs, without any witch’s magic; if you want to be loved, then Love." – Hecaton of Rhodes

[A lovely sentiment that I mostly agree with, although, how stinging to all those who suffer unrequited love!]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wedding Readings.