TinaB's Reviews > Forbidden

Forbidden by Ted Dekker

Mar 18, 2011

Read from June 11 to September 10, 2011

Im pleasantly used to Dekker's descriptive style and violent gore.

Forbidden is no different, plenty of blood, guts and foul things happen to the characters in this world and while Ive me to expect this style from Dekker, I actually found some of the violence a bit overboard- the murders and some particular scenes felt forced and dare I say it- a bit contrived. And that's hard for me to say as I'm an extreme Dekker fan, there's not much he can write that I wouldn't like, however I couldn't help thinking many of the scenes (even the sexy scenes) were for shock value and not for the flow of the story........I was half surprised seeing how the book deals with dead-like people that at some point zombies didn't start popping out behind trees to start eating peoples brains........

However, that being said, I think what really helped me get past the queasy violence was Tosca Lee's dominate sensuous voice that gave life to visual beauty and some very romantic rich scenes.

Forbidden is not an overtly Christian book but when drawing parallels to the Christian faith, the most profound aspect I could take away was the blood issue. The characters in this dystopian set society all suffered the after effects of a government controlled disease that over time raped citizens of their human emotions, leaving them with only the sense of fear. In order for any of those senses to return, a person (or in this case the main MC's) had to drink a special vial of blood to restore those feelings. Just touching on this concept alone, was the idea that only with the acceptance of Christ’s sacrifice and his blood rebirths a person from a dead state of sin.

I think anyone could pick this up and enjoy the eerie doomed scenarios and gruesome violence that surrounds it. I know I will be carrying on with the series and with each authors bold takes on creation, sin, sex and violence, Im eager to see where the Dekker/Lee team takes us.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forbidden.

09/08/2011 page 232
54.0% "So if any two people could push the boundries of Inspy fiction it would of course be these two authors...."