Mimi's Reviews > Viper's Creed

Viper's Creed by T.L. Shreffler

DNF @ 40%.

I wanted to finish...but I couldn't. I may come back but probably not any time soon.
It's not awful but I just can't seem to get past a few things.
The plot was set up in a direction that seemed quite interesting and I was intrigued to see how this would go. However, the problem lies in the characters.

Sora is more bearable than she was in the last book which is great because when you have me disliking the main character you know the book won't go anywhere. So, Sora isn't completely at fault. But while I say she is more bearable, she is still quite irritating. She made an awful choice choosing to bring along this new little kid thief, Laina, along. She is also incredibly attached to this kid considering she keeps saying she finds her annoying as well? Honey, get your feelings together, do ya hate her or love her huh? Onto Laina... This kid is not likeable. I'm not sure if she gets better but at where I stopped in the book, our trio decides it's a good idea to turn back and save her when she gets kidnapped...as a reader, I feel like we are going off from the main story onto a side quest that I completely do not care about...perhaps there is some greater point to this because they did note that Laina took the hilt of the sword/dagger/rapier with her (which I also think sounds super sketchy and suspicious but okay whatever you want Sora).

Crash, I think he's the only sane one in this situation because it seems Burn likes this kid as well. However, that is not to say I like Crash either. We know next to nothing about this assassin....which I suppose perhaps was something the author was aiming for, for the mysterious aura...but it really has just served to make me impartial to this character. Which is unfortunate, considering he is one of the leads....this should not be happening...I should care very much what is happening to him.

Burn...yeah, I don't know man, I'm not very fond of him either. Frankly, I care even less about him than our two main characters...which is good for them but bad for him. Once again, I think it was a bad move, even moreso now, on the author's part, to have killed off Dorian. I think his presence could have grounded this book to make it better because the plot and premise of this second instalment is actually quite interesting.

Overall, I am disappointed. I anticipated a great sequel after seeing all the shining reviews. However, I'm left underwhelmed and unmotivated to finish this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Viper's Creed.

Finished Reading
February 17, 2016 – Shelved
February 17, 2016 –
17.0% "Ugh Sora honey why are you meddling like this. Why is there a random 13 year old following this journey now LOL....ugh"
February 17, 2016 –
17.0% "Sora goes all she can't babysit forever.....WELL THEN HONEY YOU SHOULDVE MINDED YOUR OWN BUSINESS IN THE FIRST PLACE OMG #WhY"
February 17, 2016 –
29.0% "Same, Crash. I don't like this lil shit either. Sora clearly didn't think this through."
February 18, 2016 –
February 19, 2016 –
38.0% "Oh Lord help me get through this book, Sora is grating on my nerves again. I hate this ordeal with Laina, such an unnecessary character and an obviously annoying and sketchy one at that too."
February 19, 2016 –
40.0% "I really don't think I can do this I might have to DNF this book. Omg."