Juwi's Reviews > Born on a Tuesday

Born on a Tuesday by Elnathan John

Feb 17, 2016

Recommended for: Muslim character, books about religious fundamentalism, coming of age stories,

THIS BOOK. OMG THIS BOOK.

wow. just wow.

Honestly, this book is one of those unsuspecting books that you just read not thinking much but then it gets to a point and everything just HITS YOU AND YOU'RE LIKE WTF THIS IS AMAZING OMG I LOVE THIS SHOW MUCH WOW and then the end is just a huge slap in the face and you're like WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!

so it is about a boy called Dantala which (view spoiler)

Anyways so he ends up changing his name to Ahmed and it's just about him growing up and how he has to flee this place and he ends up working in a Mosque and learning from this Sheikh who is actually a really nice character and what happens to him is horrendous.

So yeah Ahmed is growing up and discovering things and learning English and how to write and read which is so wonderful. I love his curiosity and inquisitiveness and how he is always questioning.

It is so nice to read a book about a Muslim character and how important their faith is like when he says my fave line is 'prayer is better than sleep' and that's just beautiful and how he struggles with his faith and certain aspects of Islam which is totally normal and fine because we're always learning and I just love that and how he can see what is wrong and what is right.

so this book deals with major themes such as extremism and fundamentalism but also it is a coming of age story. a very depressing, heartbreaking and haunting coming of age story about a boy who had to grow up too quickly and how people use religion for all sorts of agendas and how it can destroy lives.

it's horrible because this is a reality for many people.

but it also explains clearly that terrorism has no place in Islam etc etc so to all the Islamophobes it's good because the reality is...Muslims suffer from terrorism too. like IS has killed more Muslims than non-Muslims tbh so?????? and their whole agenda is to turn the West against Muslims so if you are Islamophobic then you are actually doing what IS wants. ew.

anyways, this book is just really good and I love the voice of Dantala and the end is just so heartbreaking. I also love his friendship with Jibril and it is so cute his awkward relationship with Aisha.

I think everyone should read this because it is an important book. but also be prepared for the pain.

Happy Reading (not really)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born on a Tuesday.

February 17, 2016 – Started Reading