Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Mar 17, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, ya
Read from March 20 to 22, 2011

So, I have to say that I absolutely loved this book! I had some reservations because of all the hype it had gotten and sometimes they fall really flat, but this one did not.

Katniss is a teenage girl who willingly takes her younger sisters place in an all out death match instituted by the Capital, called the Hunger Games. The plot takes you on a first person adventure through what happens after Katniss volunteers herself. Kat is a spectacular main character with enough emotion and personality to keep me reading, it has been a while since I finished a book so quickly.

The Hunger Games for me was a combination of 1984 (which I hated) and Battle Royale (a movie about a random Japanese class that gets picked to fight to the death on a deserted island) and I think this is a very good comparison. However, Collins wrote about the Capital in a way that made the book as a whole likable-- unlike 1984.

The plot line, while entertaining to the younger reader also had a lot of depth for older readers, although I would have read it without that depth, but it was nice. It was also refreshing not to have a love story from the very beginning, or vampires, or zombies...like may currently popular young adult reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

03/20/2011 page 65