Jodie's Reviews > Empire of Storms

Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

bookshelves: active-series, genre-fantasy, genre-romance, genre-ya

Read: September 2016
Re read: December 2018

See more reviews at Words Read & Written

Why I picked it up:

Okay. I admit it. I cried when I opened my package from Bloomsbury containing Empire of Storms and the Throne of Glass colouring book. I didn't expect to receive it a week early, so getting my hands on it was such a wonderful surprise. I adore this series, and being able to read the fifth instalment before it was officially released was pretty awesome. Especially since I'd re-read the first four books in preparation, so I was more than ready for this!

My Thoughts:

Delving into Empire of Storms was like sitting down to coffee with old friends. I know these characters so well and love them all so much. I was excited to hear what they'd been up to!

I think Sarah J Maas is a really smart author. Her stories always delve down paths that astound me in their simple brilliance.

Quite frankly, Manon stole the show for me in this. The whole section at Skulls Bay dragged for me because I was SO DESPERATE to get back to whatever Manon was up to. I'll really need to re-read this book so I can relax and enjoy the story for what it was without dying to know what was going to happen with Manon.

This book had a distinctly different vibe to the others. Empire of Storms was really about the war beginning, where as the first four in the series were more about planting the seeds and introducing the key characters and their relationships to each other. I feel like so much happened in this book that I definitely need to sit down and read the series all over again.

There were some moments that dragged, but in a book of 688 pages, I suppose that is to be expected. I really feel like this series is definitely coming to a climax now. So much was revealed, and the you really begin to see how much of a journey these characters have been on. I cannot wait till the next book!

A worthy addition to the series.

My Verdict - 5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of Storms.

February 15, 2016 – Shelved