Gina Wynn's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Feb 15, 2016

bookshelves: dystopian, ya, my-netgalley-reads

Again, as with the first book in the Divergent trilogy, I loved the world building here, but the promise of romance/love between the two main characters progresses very little in that I don't fully understand or really see their attachment to each other. Nothing has really happened on an emotional level. It seems more of a story device than an organic story theme.

Tris continues in her selfish way of making decisions that have an effect on the lives many more people than just herself, without due consideration to those she professes to like or love, and even without respecting or trusting anyone else to come up with an equal or better plan than the one she has in mind. Her role as martyr becomes tiringly inevitable after a while.

Death has a big role to play in the book, again, and certainly Ms Roth takes no prisoners and gives way to no sentimentality when it comes to choosing who lives and who dies. Whether this is a nod cruelty present in Tris's world, or she is signposting something bigger, I have no idea.

I'm still not sure I know these characters very well. I don't understand a great deal as to their motivations, or really feel what they are feeling. They are still a little 2D for my taste.

That said, actually reading the book is not a negative experience. Watching the characters operate in their highly detailed dystopian world, to rules only they understand, is fascinating.

I received a free copy of this book through NetGalley from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

February 6, 2016 – Started Reading