Tom's Reviews > The Book of Revelation for Blockheads: A User-Friendly Look at the Bible's Weirdest Book

The Book of Revelation for Blockheads by Douglas Connelly
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Revelation for Blockheads.

Quotes Tom Liked

“We’ve come up with a lot of strange ideas about what we will do in heaven when we first see Jesus. Some people think they will shake his hand or give him a hug. Some people have questions they want to ask. I think we will do what John did — fall down in awe and wonder and love at Jesus’ feet.”
Douglas Connelly, The Book of Revelation for Blockheads: A User-Friendly Look at the Bible's Weirdest Book

“Jesus is clothed in the brilliant garments of a priest — a full-length white robe with a golden sash wrapped across his chest. Beginning at Jesus’ head and moving down to his feet, John describes what Jesus looked like: Hair as white as snow: A picture of the purity and sinlessness of Jesus. Eyes like blazing fire: He can see right through us; every hidden thing is visible to him. Feet like glowing bronze: A symbol of judgment; Jesus’ feet are restless as he moves among his people. A voice like a thundering waterfall: Jesus’ words will block out all other voices; he alone is the supreme authority. A face like the sun: A picture of the stunning glory of Jesus. John was Jesus’ closest human friend on earth. It had been sixty years since they had last seen each other. But John doesn’t run up and slap Jesus on the back and tell him how good it is to see him. In the face of Jesus’ glory, John falls at Jesus’ feet like a dead man. We’ve come up with a lot of strange ideas about what we will do in heaven when we first see Jesus. Some people think they will shake his hand or give him a hug. Some people have questions they want to ask. I think we will do what John did — fall down in awe and wonder and love at Jesus’ feet.”

“In light of his criticism, maybe we need to reevaluate Jesus’ commendation — and look more closely at our own church and our own lives. The church at Ephesus was a hardworking church, but without the hot fire of love for Christ, their work was simply a performance. The services were well planned, the pews were packed, and the pastor’s sermons were polished, but Jesus says, “I miss the love you had at first.” He misses the extravagance of love poured out; he misses the spontaneous expressions of praise; he misses the full sacrifice of their hearts. The ministry at the Ephesian church in your neighborhood is very impressive, but Jesus is not pleased.”

“Jesus adds a warning that we can’t ignore: “If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand” (verse 5). If our coldness toward Jesus continues, he will blow the light out. The choice for an Ephesian church is repentance, or removal. If a congregation grows cold and worship becomes dead ritual, not many generations have to pass until the church is gone. The building or denomination may still be there; people may still come; someone may stand in the pulpit —but the light, the power, is gone. The lamp has been blown out by Jesus himself.”

“The hardest people to talk with about Jesus are not the people who are far from God and who know they are far from God. Those people are often eager to hear about Jesus’ love and forgiveness. The hardest people to talk with about Jesus are religious people — baptized but not born again, members of an earthly church but not members of Christ by faith.”

“Jesus uses one of the most powerful pictures in the Bible of his seeking love for lost people. He portrays himself standing at the door of the church or standing at the door of a human heart and knocking. It’s unlikely that the entire religious crowd at Laodicea would repent, but Jesus is hopeful that at least one will hear his knock or his voice calling. If anyone responds and opens the door, Jesus will enter that heart and change that life.”

February 15, 2016 – Started Reading