Donna {Book Passion for Life}'s Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Mar 16, 2011

bookshelves: arc, for-review, from-publishers, own, ya-paranormal-romance, books-i-m-quoted-in
Read from July 22 to 24, 2011

"Alex?" I turned around, figuring he'd changed his mind and was going to order me to see Marcus in the morning and fess up to my bad behaviour. "Yeah ?" He brushed a lock of dark hair off his forehead and flashed that lopsided smile. "I remember you" I scrunched up my face. "What?" The grin increased to a full smile. And... oh, man. He had dimples. The air in my lungs died. "I remember you, too"

Where do I even begin by writing this review? Well……Half-Blood left me utterly speechless. It completely blew me away and it’s definitely one of my favourite reads so far this year.

Half-Blood follows the life of Alex; a 17 year old Half-Blood who has just returned to the covenant after her mother was murdered by Damions. After missing nearly three years of training, Alex is thrown back into life and starts training to become Sentinels. She is being trained by Aiden, a gorgeous pure blood. Alex knows that relationships between Half-Blood’s and Pure’s are forbidden but there is an undeniable attraction between them. As she tries to fight off her feelings for Aiden, a person from the past comes back to haunt her…..one that she thought was dead but with this person stopping at nothing to get to her, it can only lead to one possible end…..one with a deadly confrontation.

Can I just say wow, wow and wow? Yeah, I loved this book that much, that if I could rate it 10 out of 10, I would. Jennifer L. Armentrout has created a completely amazing book that truly shows off her talents as a writer. This book has everything. It’s full of suspense, action, danger and romance. It’s also captivating, mind-blowing, surprising, compelling and thrilling. The twists and turns through-out this book kept me on my toes and I honestly didn’t know what was coming next. I so have to admit that this book did remind me of Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead BUT……and please don’t hate me for this…….Half-Blood was so much better!!

The Greek Mythology that was used within the story was unique and fresh and not once did I feel lost in the story. Jennifer manages to introduce a completely new world to us that is easily imaginable and felt so feel. Her characters were well developed, strong and completely independent. Our heroine Alex is smart, brave and funny. I love how determined she is and doesn’t let anything stand in her way. Then we have Aiden….*sigh* I could honestly sit and write about Aiden ALL DAY! He’s amazing! Totally stubborn but so gorgeous, he’s enough to make any girls heart melt. Some of the scenes that Aiden and Alex share are so touching and loveable that you’re truly rooting for them as couple. I’m absolutely dying to know where the author takes their relationship; especially with their relationship being forbidden.

The secondary characters were second to none. Seth and Caleb are all completely unique in their own way. I definitely think Jennifer has thrown in a curve ball with the connection between Alex and Seth and again, it’s left me wanting more. I’m left imagining the outcome of the series and I know; only Jennifer has those answers at the moment but I will be definitely waiting impatiently until the next book is released. I find myself imagining the worst possible outcome so I won’t be disappointed but, I honestly know I won’t be because if Pure is anything like Half-Blood, I know I be amazing.

Overall, Jennifer has created a fantastic new series. One which is full of excitement and action and one, everyone is going to love. A forbidden romance that leaves you praying for a happy ending but also leaving you will a little bit of hope; Hope that everything will work out in the end even though it’s only the beginning. I guess only time will tell!

A huge thank you to Spencer Hill for giving me the opportunity to read this amazing book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

Quotes Donna {Book Passion for Life} Liked

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I was gonna be super pissed in the afterlife if I died a virgin in this crap hole.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Then I should be relieved to know what I was told an hour ago is false. It wasn't you who yanked a girl--by her hair--out of chair in the common lounge area.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Hey,” I reached out and tapped the hand that rested next to my left leg. “you are--”
The hand that I tapped reached up and clasped mine. I froze as he threaded his finders through mine. “I’m what?”
Beautiful. Kind. Patient. Perfect. I said none of those things. Instead, I stared at his fingers, wondering if he knew he was holding my hand. “You’re always so….”
His thumb moved over the top of my hand. The balm made his fingers cool and smooth. “What?”
I looked up, and I was immediately snared. His stare, his soft touch along my hand was doing very strange things. I felt hot and dizzy, like I’d been out in the sun all day. All I could think about was how his hand felt on mine. Then, what his hand would feel like on other parts. I shouldn’t be thinking that at all.
Aiden was a pure.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I don't want to know about love.'

'But you should, my child. You need to know about love. The things people will do for love. All truths come down to love, do they not? One way or another, they do. See, there is a difference between love and need. Sometimes, what you feel is immediate and without rhyme or reason.' She sat up a little straighter. 'Two people see each across a room or their skin brushes. Their souls recognize the person as their own. It doesn’t need time to figure it. The soul always knows... whether it’s right or wrong.”
tags: love

07/22/2011 page 1
07/22/2011 page 25
9.0% "Loving this so far but it sure does remind me of Vampire Academy. :)"
07/23/2011 page 82
29.0% "Oh Aiden! *Sigh*" 3 comments
07/23/2011 page 140
50.0% "Loving this :)"
07/23/2011 page 180
64.0% 9 comments

message 1: by Randa (new) - added it

Randa This book is written from a first person point of view, yes?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

does this series have a love triangle? -.- *typical question coming from me XP

Donna {Book Passion for Life} I can't believe you HAVEN'T read this series Aiman. You need to seriously, and yeah, it does have one but nothing to worry over. The love triangle is over by the third book and there's reasons for it too, it's not just to fill the books out x

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Donna {Book Passion for Life} wrote: "I can't believe you HAVEN'T read this series Aiman. You need to seriously, and yeah, it does have one but nothing to worry over. The love triangle is over by the third book and there's reasons for ..."

lmao!! ive put this on my "cant-find" list for 8 months now!!! it just came out on ibooks in australia!! XP

Donna {Book Passion for Life} So that means you can get it right?

Donna {Book Passion for Life} And don't forgot to read the prequel, Damion! =)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Donna {Book Passion for Life} wrote: "So that means you can get it right?"

Just got it!!! I'm reading it now XD LOL!!!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Does it matter which I read first?? Cuz I have half blood and damion is like 11.99 for only 80 pages :/

Donna {Book Passion for Life} 11.99 for the prequel?? You're joking!! That's a rip off. Yeah, don't read it then. You don't have to but it gives a good insight to what happens before Half-Blood starts.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Donna {Book Passion for Life} wrote: "11.99 for the prequel?? You're joking!! That's a rip off. Yeah, don't read it then. You don't have to but it gives a good insight to what happens before Half-Blood starts."

I'll try to find it on the website where I get free book ;P epubbud.com but I doubt it's out :/ I'll wait .... But thanks though :)

Holly Saw your comment the book is free on the publishers site as well is elixir once you catch up to that book too. http://www.site.spencerhillpress.com/...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Holly wrote: "Saw your comment the book is free on the publishers site as well is elixir once you catch up to that book too. http://www.site.spencerhillpress.com/..."

OMG!!! thanks Holly!! :D im half way through half-blood and im in love with Alex <3 shes so freaken fuunnyy XP cant wait to finish it then ill read damion :)