Ronyell's Reviews > John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat

John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat by Jenny Wagner

bookshelves: animal-books, read-in-1993, weston-woods

I have actually seen this book on a video which was apart of “Weston Woods” and I enjoyed it then and I enjoy it now! “John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat” is a children’s book by Jenny Wagner along with illustrations by Ron Brooks and it is about how an old woman named Rose wanted to have the midnight cat over for company, but her dog, John Brown, will not allow it. “John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat” is a great tale of true friendship that children everyone will enjoy for many years!

This book was apart of my childhood and it has always remained favorite story of mine for many years! Jenny Wagner had done an excellent job at writing this book about friendship and jealousy. I loved the way that Jenny Wagner brought out the theme of jealousy in this book as it was shown in a way that was never shown in many children’s books before. I was amazed at the slight intensity of John Brown’s jealousy towards the midnight cat as he went as far as to tell the midnight cat off and I think that many children will actually see the damage that jealousy could have on the family as John Brown’s relationship with Rose slightly intensified and also many children will easily relate to John Brown’s predicament as they probably felt jealous whenever a new sibling or relative comes to the family. Ron Brooks’ illustrations are extremely beautiful, especially of the images of Rose and John Brown being together. I loved the images of Rose and John Brown as John Brown is drawn as a black and white sheep dog while Rose is drawn as an elderly kind-hearted woman who wears a pink jacket, a yellow dress and pink slippers which indicates her kind nature. I especially loved the image of the midnight cat as it seems to glow in the dark and yellow eyes that also glow and it has black fur which makes it look mysterious.

The only problem I had with this book was the message of this book seems a bit unclear to me. When John Brown became jealous of the midnight cat and Rose kept on asking to invite the midnight cat inside the house, I felt that Rose should have assured John Brown that she will always care about him even if she has the midnight cat as company and the way Rose rarely mentions that to John Brown sort of makes me a bit uncomfortable. I think that if parents go through the phrase where their child is jealous of another child’s company, they should always assure the child that they will always love them no matter what situation takes place.

Overall, “John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat” is a cute story for children of all ages could enjoy for many years, however parents might want to reassure their children that they will always love them if a new sibling or a new relative comes to the family before they read them this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read John Brown, Rose and the Midnight Cat.

Started Reading