Ronyell's Reviews > Liang and the Magic Paintbrush

Liang and the Magic Paintbrush by Demi

Mar 16, 2011

bookshelves: demi, chinese-books, fairy-tales-folktales
Recommended for: Fans of Demi and Chinese Folktales!

Is there not anything that Demi cannot do? “Liang and the Magic Paintbrush” is a Chinese folktale by Demi that is about a young boy named Liang who receives a magic paintbrush from a magical man and every time Liang painted with the paintbrush, whatever he painted would come to life and he also must avoid the evil emperor at all costs! “Liang and the Magic Paintbrush” is truly a beautiful tale about the consequences of being greedy that many children will love for years!

Demi had made this book completely beyond amazing with her beautiful illustrations and her dazzling writing of this ancient Chinese folktale. Demi makes this book extremely exciting as Liang is immediately thrown into trouble when the Emperor forces Liang to come to his palace to do his evil biddings with the paintbrush. I loved the way that Demi made Liang into such a kind-hearted and clever character as he truly uses his magic paintbrush for good intentions such as helping out his family and friends and it is that aspect of Liang’s personality that I really enjoyed since I also love helping other people during their time of needs too. I also thought that the idea about a magic paintbrush bringing paintings to life is truly creative and amazing as I never would have read about an object that would bring drawings to life, although that does seem to be the norm for many fairy tales. Demi’s illustrations are extremely beautiful, especially the way that Demi drew the bamboo trees in luscious green colors and I also loved the image of Liang himself as he has dark hair and small eyes and he is always shown wearing a beige colored robe which clearly makes him look distinguished and innocent.

All in all, “Liang and the Magic Paintbrush” is a truly magnificent book for children who love Chinese folktales and love to learn about the consequences of being too greedy. I would recommend this book to children ages five and up since the Chinese names might be too difficult for smaller children to read through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liang and the Magic Paintbrush.

March 16, 2011 – Shelved