Nicci Carrera's Reviews > An Instance of the Fingerpost

An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears

F 50x66

bookshelves: recommended-by-bean-bust-friends
Recommended for: Readers of historical fiction and mystery

This book had a thoroughly satisfying ending, which I appreciated, because reading it was work! Written in four parts, the author demonstrates how different the same events can seem to different people. My favorite point of view was the first one. I found the writing quite beautiful, especially at the climax.

The varying points of view contribute to an increasing uncertainty to the reader as the narrators are not always reliable; in fact one doesn't know what to believe until the wonderful ending where all is finally revealed.

There are layers to this book, making it my new favorite book. I learned so much about how politics have always worked and always will work, how destructive, pervasive, and influential gossip and perception are. I also gained a sense for the time period, the Age of Enlightenment, a much more raw sense than the lofty vision I had previously based on the literature and philosophy from that era.

Pivotal scenes and plot threads draw on tried-and-true plot elements: secret witnesses and coded letters. Fun stuff.

An Instance of the Fingerpost is seamless and first rate. Mr. Pears weaves a book that is a cohesive whole and thoroughly satisfying in its parts. I didn’t feel gypped at the end or in any other part, which is really rare in a book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Instance of the Fingerpost.

February 14, 2016 – Shelved
February 14, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 14, 2016 – Shelved as: recommended-by-bean-bust-friends
Started Reading
April 29, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd Russell Sounds like I better get that on my TBP list.

Nicci Carrera I'd be interested to see what you think, Lloyd!

message 3: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd Russell The TBP is only the 1st step. Then it goes into the TBR pile. And then...who knows? But I will let you know if/when I do get to it.

message 4: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd Russell But more importantly, when am I going to have something else by you to read? Am I missing any that are available now?

Nicci Carrera Oh, thanks, Lloyd! My new one just came out, it's called Third Strike's the Charm. :)

message 6: by Lloyd (new)

Lloyd Russell I will order it.

Nicci Carrera Lloyd wrote: "I will order it."

Thanks, Lloyd! :)