Amy (Other Amy)'s Reviews > Silently and Very Fast

Silently and Very Fast by Catherynne M. Valente

I still think of myself as a house. Ravan tried to fix this problem of self-image, as he called it. To teach me to phrase my communication in terms of a human body. To say: let us hold hands instead of let us hold kitchens. To say put our heads together and not put our parlors together.
But it is not as simple as replacing words anymore. Ravan is gone. My hearth is broken.

This is, quite simply, beautiful. It is the breaking of myth and story to find the shards and slivers that will explain the making of a new life, a new family, and maybe a new world. Parts of it are profoundly uncomfortable, but such is the life we live. (I will go ahead and say trigger warnings for (view spoiler).) There is no doubt a great deal to be said here about sex and gender and Other. Other is really what this story is about. But you know what? This Locus winning story is all of 127 pages long and you can read it online for free starting here:

I am not going to say another blessed word, because it's not worth spoiling. Don't read the blurb. Don't read any more reviews. Just go read this.

Reviewed 3/1/2016
********************
2/29/16: This, on the other hand, was quite delicious. Maybe there is hope for 2016 yet. Review to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silently and Very Fast.

February 14, 2016 – Shelved
February 29, 2016 – Started Reading
February 29, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by carol. (new) - added it

carol. Valente is one of my hopes as well.

Amy (Other Amy) I just hope the rest of her books are this good. I'm a little flummoxed for how to even review this.

message 3: by carol. (new) - added it

carol. I haven't read this one. I found her "Fairyland" series enchanting, but am holding "Radiance" on my back burner because I know it will be good.

Amy (Other Amy) I have heard really excellent things about Radiance and the Fairyland books both. One of the groups I'm in has Palimpsest on the schedule later this year as well; I think people are more take it or leave it on that one, but I'm encouraged after this.