Leah's Reviews > All the Birds in the Sky

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders

All the Birds in the Sky was the first 2016 release I absolutely did not want to put down until I was finished. It was so weird, in that brilliant way I always hope to find in a new-to-me author's work. The seamless blending of magic and science, the absolutely believable relationship between Patricia and Laurence, the ethical dilemmas of their gifts and those effects on the world... How does one review a book that itself refuses to be crammed into one neat little "normal" box? Loved it!

Highly recommended if you're looking for something different, something simultaneously imaginary and realistic.

One of my favorite quotes from the book, spoken by my absolute LEAST favorite character, Patricia's sister:

"You never learned the secret," said Roberta. "How to be a crazy (view spoiler) and get away with it. Everybody else does it. What, you didn't think they were all sane, did you? Not a one of them. They're all crazier than you and me put together. They just know how to fake it. You could too, but you've chosen to torture all of us instead. That's the definition of evil right there: not faking it like everybody else. Because all of us crazy (view spoiler) can't stand it when someone else lets their crazy show. It's like bugs under the skin. We have to destroy you. It's nothing personal." (p. 102)

My only nitpick was that, once again, during childhood and young adulthood both characters had absolutely NO adults (including and especially their parents) who believed them, supported them, got them. I guess "us against the world" is a great way to bond two people, but it's a pet peeve of mine with a lot of the fiction I read.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Birds in the Sky.

February 12, 2016 – Started Reading