Kendel Christensen's Reviews > The Alchemist

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

Recommended to Kendel by: Michael Rose
Recommended for: Anyone who wants to be inspired to live their dreams
Read 2 times. Last read January 1, 2006.

This book is AMAZING. It has held strong in the top 5 books that have influenced me for many years running. I view it as a very spiritual book. It invites you to live beyond what your physical senses (and those around you) tell you is possible. I rediscovered it when I was struggling with what I should do with my life after graduation. Man, it gave me such a renewed confidence in myself.

Favorite quotes:

“‘What’s the world’s greatest lie?’ the boy asked, completely surprised.
‘It’s this: that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what’s happened to us, and our lives become controlled by fate.’”
(Said by King Melchizadek, in Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist, HarperCollins: New York. 1998. p. 18)

#1, by far:
“‘Everyone, when they are young, knows what their Personal Legend is.
‘At that point in their lives, everything is clear and everything is possible. They are not afraid to dream, and to yearn for everything they would like to see happen to them in their lives. But, as time passes, a mysterious force begins to convince them that it will be impossible for them to realize their Personal Legend. . . . in the long run, what people think . . . becomes more important for them than their own Personal Legends.’”
(Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist, HarperCollins: New York. 1998. pp. 21, 23)
The context of this quote makes it even more poignant (Melchizadek tells him of a man who chose to 'play it safe' instead of follow his heart's dream. He lived a content life, but he "best" for merely "good". Tragic? No pancake is so thin that it has only one side. Ooooh, the philosophy!

This one really reminded me that we should make decisions MORE because of the potential good that could happen, versus the potential bad that *might* happen:
“When I have been truly searching for my treasure, I’ve discovered things along the way that I never would have seen had I not had the courage to try things that seemed impossible for a shepherd to achieve.”
(Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist, HarperCollins: New York. 1998. p. 130)

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure”
(Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist, HarperCollins: New York. 1998. p. 141)

“When we love, we always strive to become better than we are.”
(Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist, HarperCollins: New York. 1998. p. 151)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alchemist.

Finished Reading