Erica Chilson's Reviews > I Kissed a Rogue

I Kissed a Rogue by Shana Galen

4182064

bookshelves: historical-romance, romance, 5-star, wickedreads

I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

5 Adventurous, Amorous Stars

I will admit, I was slightly hesitant to begin I Kissed a Rogue. The first in the Covent Garden Cubs was an epic 5 stars from me, with me finding book 2 a bit lackluster. I will say, all hesitancy flew out the window on the very first page of IKaR.

I was hooked from the very beginning of this page-turner historical romance. Lila & Brook's narration offered that push-pull type of romance that I crave. Tons of witty banter, some love/hate push-pull, and smoking hot, lusty between-the-sheets actions.

I will say, there was a LOT of action in this novel, both in an adventurous aspect, as well as in the bedroom. However, the abundance of scenes didn't feel repetitive or redundant (which is a pet peeve of mine). I found it a gradual progression to the final climax- crescendo.

What a reader shouldn't expect is the tedium of balls and gowns, and an endless stream of description. I Kissed a Rogue has fast-pacing as it dives into the underbelly of London. Our damsel in distress is strong enough to attempt to protect herself/save herself, without complaint, offering the perfect balance to the investigator in Brook. Combined with an intriguing backstory, which creates the love/hate push-pull that I find so addicting.

The mystery/suspense elements can get a bit confusing, especially in the beginning. I found the same issue in the previous books in the series. Galen writes as if 2 + 2 = 5, and the reader either just goes with the flow by turning the page, hoping eventually it will be explained or a plot hole is filled, or be confused on how the author came to that conclusion with the words written on the page. With that being said, I did surmise the 'who done it', but the knowledge didn't lessen my enjoyment.

The mystery is the vehicle to bring the characters together, then it takes the backseat as the romance drives the story.

Do I recommend this series: To fans of modern historical romances, but not to those who love the classic, stuffy fade-to-black flowery, over-descriptive novels.

I personally look forward to reading more by this author, as well as continuing on with the series. Fingers crossed there will be more.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Kissed a Rogue.

February 14, 2016 – Started Reading