Mandy's Reviews > The Fry Chronicles

The Fry Chronicles by Stephen Fry

Mar 16, 2011

I very much enjoyed this book, which is written in such a comfortable Stephen Fry style that it is like listening to him on one of his audio tapes. Fry world is such a lovely cosy place as well. I wouldn't quite agree with the Goodread's blurb that "This memoir details some of the most turbulent and least well known years of his life with writing." These years are not turbulent years for Fry. Some of them are busy writing years, certainly, but he makes the point himself that these were charmed years. The book starts with Fry arriving at Cambridge, and ends just before "A bit of Fry and Laurie", covering about 12 years I think.

So, why only four stars? Partly, it's because there are so many people referred to in the book and it is expected that I will know who many of them are; a lot of the time I didn't. And partly it's because I got a bit fed up of the point being laboured and repeated that Fry is not as confident on the inside as he is on the outside. It is obviously a big thing to him, and he really wants people to get it, but I felt I had it at the end of the first paragraph, and there were pages more to go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fry Chronicles.