Sarah's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Mar 16, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, 2011-ya-debut, arc, young-adult, review-written

Review originally posted HERE.

Dystopian is all the rage. We know this, of course. Each book is different, different characters, different creepy, futuristic worlds, different politics, government problems, different dystopians. Divergent is yet another different dystopian, this one based quite a bit on personality traits and governmental equality and, to a point, socialism.

In Divergent‘s world, people are separated by personality trait, in a similar way as Hogwarts students are separated into houses based on certain traits. Though unlike the Hogwarts houses, which are a bit more murky in traits and characteristics than definition by one trait, the factions in Divergent are singular in their dedication to one, well, as they call it, virtue. There are five factions: Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent).

Beatrice is our protag — she begins to go by Tris during her faction initiation. People are born into factions, but at 16 everyone gets a chance to choose a faction. There is a test, and personality, virtues, traits, are evaluated. But ultimately, each person gets a choice. When Tris is evaluated, she’s told something unexpected — she doesn’t fit comfortably into any faction. She was born into Abnegation, raised to be selfless. But she never feels very selfless; in fact, she often feels very selfish, and she berates herself that she doesn’t always fit in with her family. When it comes time to make a choice, she does something not many people do — she changes factions. And changing factions means leaving her family and her home and heading into the unknown.

To be honest, I struggled a bit with the book. I wanted to love it, but it was long and, in places, slow. There was also a culminating climax pages from the end that majorly lacked transition. In fact, I think that was the biggest problem I had with the book: the most important moment came out of nowhere (in a not good way), with the clues leading up to it few and far-between, and once the clues showed up, there was no time for build-up. I felt gipped, honestly. Everything happened too quickly, too coincidentally. It’s the first book in a (surprise) series, and I think the climax and conclusion (however nearly cliff-hanging it was) could have been treated better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

March 16, 2011 – Started Reading
March 16, 2011 – Shelved
March 17, 2011 –
page 175
35.93% "It's at this point that the dreams of having to choose a faction have started..."
March 18, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011