Megan ~The Never Ending Book Basket's Reviews > Me Before You

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Sometimes you read books, sometimes you love them with all you have, and sometimes you feel and experience every single ounce of what they have to offer. Sometimes you read a book so remarkable, so unforgettable, and so amazing that when you finish it, you don't know what you're going to do with yourself. You don't know whether to cry or smile or laugh. You don't know what you're going to read next, and you're just starting to process the literal amazingness that you've just read and lived and breathed for hours upon hours. Sometimes you read a book, and you know without a doubt that you will never forget a moment of that book or what it was like to read it. Sometimes you a read a book that changes it all, a book that moves you, breaks you, and raises the bar.

And sometimes you get a book that gives you all of that and more. That book is Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I can't even begin to fully articulate how perfect this book was, or how much it shattered me, or how much it shook me to my core. I can't tell you enough how much this book will devastate you, melt you, have you hoping and thinking and feeling with every literal ounce of your being. You will be awed by what this book so breathtakingly gives you, and in the end you will be moved by it all.

I don't think I can really accurately capture what it was like to read and experience Me Before You. This book is in a league of its own. I've never read a book quite like this one, and that is just part of what made it so exceptional to read. This book just gives you more. It makes you feel more, it breaks you more, and it gives you it all in a way that you have never experienced before. It covers a multitude of topics and themes, it gives you characters that will win you over in a flash, and that will simultaneously make you melt and cry and smile throughout every page. It will give you so much, and the story you get in this book will just awe you. Trust me. I could not stop reading this book and experiencing all that it was giving me. I couldn't stop and I didn't want to because it was that good.

I have to admit that I was a little scared to read this book. I have had it for over a year, and all I knew about its story was that it was super emotional, and that it would definitely make me cry. Well this book did that, and then some. This book murdered my emotions. All of them. And I loved every single moment of that because that showed me how invested and enraptured I was in every moment I was reading. I knew very little about this story when I went into it, and I absolutely loved that because it let me fall into everything so authentically and in a way that had me so beyond pulled into every word of what I was reading. I completely recommend going into this book blind and just letting the events of this book sweep you up. Just dive right into the thick of it and experience every minute of all-feeling intensity that this unforgettable story has to offer. You will not regret it.

I really loved that Me Before You was about so many different things. It was about love and relationships, and the tricky dynamics that come with both. It was about finding yourself, making hard choices, and discovering what you truly want out of life. It was about what happens when your life has set you on a course you never thought you'd be on, and what you find yourself doing on that unexpected course. It's about hard truths and difficult choices that have life changing decisions. It's about life and death, and the moments in between that make it all up. Me Before You is about it all. It tackles many themes and ideas that will push your mind, break your heart, and touch your soul, and in the end this book will change you. It'll give you new perspectives, it'll open your mind and your heart, and it'll make you feel all the way through.

Now while I won't reveal much of what happens in Me Before You, I will say that the events of this book create a slow and solid build to every moment you experience within the pages of this story. This book follows Louisa as she becomes the caregiver for Will Traynor, a man who was severely injured in an accident 2 years before the present of this book. Louise is to be a companion of sorts for Will, which he does not make easy. He's stubborn and taciturn, and he doesn't seem to like the charming and effervescent Louisa at all. Slowly but surely though, Louisa starts to get to Will. She They start effecting in ways neither of them expected, and soon their relationship and friendship begins to grow.

And then some major things are revealed. Life changing, stop your heart, make you think like all get out things. Those revelations set up the reminder of the book in the best, most captivating and consuming way, and will have you equally anticipating and terrified by what the events of this book will bring. Me Before You follows Louisa as she tries to convince Will that there is still a whole lot of life to live even in his current state, and as he does everything in his power to show Louisa how much she can bring to the world if she only pushes herself a bit. The dynamic they share is one of a kind, their connection is almost tangible, and when it all comes together in this book you will be blow away and a sobbing mess. Trust me.

I think my favorite aspect of this book was the fact that I completely understood the events, the motivations of the characters, and why the events of this book went the way they did. Even though those things shattered me in ways I've never been shattered while reading, I got them. I completely understood them and the why behind it all. The fact that Jojo Moyes lets you completely understand why things go the way that they do in this book is a true testament to what she creates in this story. She lets you fall for these characters, she lets you understand them fully, and she lets you see the paths they go down and the choices they make, and better yet, she lets you understand and accept it all.

Now I will tell you now, this book will probably make you cry. Like full on tears running down your face, break your heart, sobbing mess tears. I spent the last third of this book fighting those tears and then I reached a point when they wouldn't stop falling. That was just one of the many tells that showed me how emotionally invested and connected I was to every word of this book and these characters. Even in those moments when I could barely read the words on the page because I was crying so hard, I embraced all of that emotion because it was so well captured, so vivid, and so all-feeling in the most mesmerizing way. All of that well captured emotion and feeling makes this book the extraordinary thing that it is. I am telling you, you have never experienced a book quite like this one.

Me Before You truly gives you an exceptional reading experience. It gives you real, authentic, and endearing characters. It gives you an evolution with them both and shows you the great effect they have on one another. It gives you a story that will touch your very core, a story that will make you think and feel and hope and experience through every turn of the page, a story that will equally break you and give you hope at the same time. This was a devastatingly beautiful book that you'll never forget reading. The meaning, beauty, and power of this story is everything and is something that will stay with me always in some way, shape or form.

This book will give you so much. I promise you that. And in the end, even though it hurts like all get out, even though its bittersweet and gut wrenching at times, and even though it shatters you just a bit, you'll be grateful you had the chance to experience it. When you read this book you'll be captured in by every single wonderful aspect it has to offer, and when you reach that final page, when you finally get to that end you've been equally needing and dreading you'll realize so much...but most of all you'll realize that Me Before You is all about living...boldly, fully, and whole heartedly, and the amazing, life changing, and extraordinary things that can happen when you finally decide to do just that.

So do it. Read this book. Live. Love. Boldly. Fully. With everything you've got. It would be wrong not to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Before You.

Quotes Megan Liked

Jojo Moyes
“I turned in my seat. Will’s face was in shadow and I couldn’t quite make it out.
‘Just hold on. Just for a minute.’
‘Are you all right?’ I found my gaze dropping towards his chair, afraid some part of him was pinched, or trapped, that I had got something wrong.
‘I’m fine. I just . . . ’
I could see his pale collar, his dark suit jacket a contrast against it.
‘I don’t want to go in just yet. I just want to sit and not have to think about . . . ’ He swallowed.
Even in the half-dark it seemed effortful.
‘I just . . . want to be a man who has been to a concert with a girl in a red dress. Just for a few minutes more.’
I released the door handle.
‘Sure.’
I closed my eyes and lay my head against the headrest, and we sat there together for a while longer, two people lost in remembered music, half hidden in the shadow of a castle on a moonlit hill.”

Jojo Moyes
“Shhh. Just listen. You, of all people. Listen to what Im saying. This...tonight...is the most wonderful thing you could have done for me. What you have told me, what you have done in bringing me here...knowing that, somehow, from that complete arse, I was at the start of this, you managed to salvage something to love is astonishing to me. But...I need it to end here. No more chair. No more pneumonia. No more burning limbs. No more pain and tiredness and waking up every morning already wishing it was over. When we get back, I am still going to go to Switzerland. And if you do love me, Clark, as you say you do, the thing that would make me happier than anything is if you would come with me. So I'm asking you - if you feel the things you say you feel - then do it. Be with me. Give me the end I'm hoping for.”

Jojo Moyes
“Time slowed, and stilled. It was just the two of us, me murmuring in the empty, sunlit room. Will didn't say much. He didn't answer back, or add a dry comment, or scoff. He nodded occasionally, his head pressed against mine, and murmured, or let out a small sound that could have been satisfaction at another good memory.
"It has been, the best six months of my entire life."
"Funnily enough, Clark, mine too."
And then, just like that, my heart broke. My face crumpled, my composure went and I held him tightly and I stopped caring that he could feel the shudder of my sobbing body because grief swamped me. It overwhelmed me and tore at my heart and my stomach and my head and it pulled me under, and I couldn't bear it.”

Jojo Moyes
“I placed my face so close to his that his features became indistict, and I began to lose myself in them. I stroked his hair, his skin, his brow, with my fingertips, tears sliding unchecked down my cheeks, my nose against his, and all the time he watched me silently, studying me intently as if he were storing each molecule of me away. He was already retreating withdrawing to somewhere I couldn't reach him.
I kissed him, trying to bring him back. I kissed him and let my lips rest against his so that our breath mingled and the tears from my eyes became salt on his skin, and I told myself that, somewhere, tiny particles of him would become tiny particles of me, ingested, swallowed, alive perpetual. I wanted to press every bit of me against him. I wanted to will something into him. I wanted to give him every bit of life I felt and force him to life.
I held him, Will Traynor ex-City whiz kid, ex-stunt diver, sportsman, traveller, lover. I held him close and said nothing, all the while telling him silently that he was loved. Oh, but he was loved.”

Jojo Moyes
“I know this isn’t a conventional love story. I know there are all sorts of reasons I shouldn’t even be saying what I am. But I love you. I do. I knew it when I left Patrick. And I think you might even love me a little bit.”

Jojo Moyes
“You only get one life. It's actually your duty to live it as fully as possible.”

Jojo Moyes
“It's just that the thing you never understand about being a mother, until you are one, is that it is not the grown man - the galumphing, unshaven, stinking, opinionated off-spring - you see before you, with his parking tickets and unpolished shoes and complicated love life. You see all the people he has ever been all rolled up into one.
I look at him and see the baby I held in my arms, dewing besotted, unable to believe that I'd created another human being. I see the toddler, reaching for my hand, the schoolboy weeping tears of fury after being bullied  by some other child. I saw the vulnerabilities, the love, the history.”

Jojo Moyes
“Some mistakes... Just have greater consequences than others. But you don't have to let the result of one mistake be the thing that defines you. You, Clark, have the choice not to let that happen.”

Jojo Moyes
“I hadn’t realized that music could unlock things in you, could transport you to somewhere even the composer hadn’t predicted. It left an imprint in the air around you, as if you carried its remnants with you when you went.”

Jojo Moyes
“Do you know how hard it is to say nothing? When every atom of you strains to do the opposite? I had practiced not saying anything the whole way from the airport, and it was still nearly killing me.”

Jojo Moyes
“I let him know a hurt had been mended in a way that he couldn’t have known, and for that alone there would always be a piece of me indebted to him.”

Jojo Moyes
“And then, just like that, my heart broke. My face crumpled, my composure went and I held him tightly and I stopped caring that he could feel the shudder of my sobbing body because grief swamped me. It overwhelmed me and tore at my heart and my stomach and my head and it pulled me under, and I couldn’t bear it. I honestly thought I couldn’t bear it.”

Jojo Moyes
“I kissed him, trying to bring him back. I kissed him and let my lips rest against his so that our breath mingled and the tears from my eyes became salt on his skin, and I told myself that, somewhere, tiny particles of him would become tiny particles of me, ingested, swallowed, alive, perpetual. I wanted to press every bit of me against him. I wanted to will something into him. I wanted to give him every bit of life I felt and force him to live.”

Jojo Moyes
“I realized I was afraid of living without him. How is it you have the right to destroy my life, I wanted to demand of him, but I’m not allowed a say in yours?
But I had promised.”

Jojo Moyes
“I thought, briefly, that I would never feel as intensely connected to the world, to another human being, as I did at that moment.”

Jojo Moyes
“Push yourself. Don’t settle. Wear those stripy legs with pride. And if you insist on settling down with some ridiculous bloke, make sure some of this is squirreled away somewhere. Knowing you still have possibilities is a luxury. Knowing I might have given them to you has alleviated something for me.”

Jojo Moyes
“All I can say is that you make me... you make me into someone I couldn't even imagine. You make me happy, even when you're awful. I would rather be with you - even the you that you seem to think is diminished - than with anyone else in the world.”

Jojo Moyes
“Hey Clark', he said.'Tell me something good'. I stared out of the window at the bright-blue Swiss sky and I told him a story of two people. Two people who shouldn't have met, and who didn't like each other much when they did, but who found they were the only two people in the world who could possibly have understood each other. And I told him of the adventures they had, the places they had gone, and the things I had seen that I had never expected to. I conjured for him electric skies and iridescent seas and evenings full of laughter and silly jokes. I drew a world for him, a world far from a Swiss industrial estate, a world in which he was still somehow the person he had wanted to be. I drew the world he had created for me, full of wonder and possibility.”

Jojo Moyes
“The thing about being catapulted into a whole new life--or at least, shoved up so hard against someone else's life that you might as well have your face pressed against their window--is that it forces you to rethink your idea of who you are. Or how you might seem to other people.”

Jojo Moyes
“Push yourself. Don't Settle. Just live well. Just LIVE.”

Jojo Moyes
“I will never, ever regret the things I've done. Because most days, all you have are places in your memory that you can go to.”

Jojo Moyes
“...I told him a story of two people. Two people who shouldn't have met, and who didn't like each other much when they did, but who found they were the only two people in the world who could possibly have understood each other.”

Jojo Moyes
“You are scored on my heart,Clark. You were from the first day you walked in,with your ridiculous clothes and your complete inability to ever hide a single thing you felt.”

February 13, 2016 – Started Reading