Councillor's Reviews > The Stranger

The Stranger by Albert Camus

It is almost impossible to describe Camus' The Stranger to people who haven't read this book yet. L'Étranger is so unlike many other novels with philosophical themes that you can easily see why it has received its position among books people say everyone should read once in their life.

If you get around to reading this surprisingly short novel, don't do so with the wrong expectations. In a more common book, the plot would leave much to be desired; and Camus doesn't invent characters you care such a great deal about that you want to desperately learn more about them. This book is not about what's happening on the outside; it focuses on what happens on the inside of a human's mind in a surprisingly subtle way. A reviewer called this book "intellectually stimulating", which does perhaps come the closest to describing the essence of The Stranger.

While in the beginning the story may seem boring and uninspired, the words suddenly begin to grap your attention and pour their way into your thoughts, raising tons of questions on the way. What exactly allows our lives to be meaningful; do they even have a meaning? Shouldn't it rather be argued that since we are all equally going to face death sooner or later, all our lives are equally meaningless?

This story about a man alienated from his surroundings may bore some of its readers, but above all, it bears food for your thoughts, and as long as you don't expect enjoyment from Camus' most famous novel, then The Stranger is surely going to make you think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stranger.

Quotes Councillor Liked

Albert Camus
“I may not have been sure about what really did interest me, but I was absolutely sure about what didn't.”
Albert Camus, The Stranger

Albert Camus
“There is not love of life without despair about life.”
Albert Camus, The Stranger

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana Great review Fabian :)

Dolors Great portrayal of Camus' philosophical treatise, Councillor. You ponder about the issues that I bet Camus wanted the reader to confront. Existential angst when absurdity abounds everywhere in ever day of our lives.

Cecily Making the reader think is one of the most important achievements for a novel (and a review), imo. Your review echoes the book in that.

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin Clemence Very well written review Councilor!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Great review!

Anya Ooooo you read it and liked it; that makes me happy, Fabian. c:

message 7: by Lizzy (new) - added it

Lizzy Great review, Councillor! I have been planning to read this for a long time, but there is always something else... Now I am upgrading it to the top of my list. Thanks!

message 8: by Sushi (new) - added it

Sushi A novel that makes you think...you have me convinced Fabian! :)

Seemita You provide just the right fodder to the uninitiated, Fabian! This book does oscillate between the absurd and the meaningful and the rower knows not where to reach for.

message 10: by Ellen (new)

Ellen nice review

Councillor Ana {The Good Gif Fairy} wrote: "Great review Fabian :)"

Thank you, Ana! :)

Councillor Dolors wrote: "Great portrayal of Camus' philosophical treatise, Councillor. You ponder about the issues that I bet Camus wanted the reader to confront. Existential angst when absurdity abounds everywhere in ever..."

Thank you, Dolors, and well said! :)

Councillor Cecily wrote: "Making the reader think is one of the most important achievements for a novel (and a review), imo. Your review echoes the book in that."

I agree with the first sentence and thank you for the second. ;)

Councillor Erin wrote: "Very well written review Councilor!"

Thank you, Erin! :)

Councillor Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Great review!"

Councillor Anya wrote: "Ooooo you read it and liked it; that makes me happy, Fabian. c:"

Yesss. :D

Councillor Lizzy wrote: "Great review, Councillor! I have been planning to read this for a long time, but there is always something else... Now I am upgrading it to the top of my list. Thanks!"

Thank you, Lizzy! It is a very short, yet not simple story, so it doesn't take up too much time reading this. I hope you'll like it just as much whenever you finally read it.

Councillor Sushi wrote: "A novel that makes you think...you have me convinced Fabian! :)"

Yay! :D

Councillor Seemita wrote: "You provide just the right fodder to the uninitiated, Fabian! This book does oscillate between the absurd and the meaningful and the rower knows not where to reach for."

I couldn't agree more with your final statement after reading this book, Seemita! :)

Councillor Ellen wrote: "nice review"

Thank you!

Aj the Ravenous Reader Well that's the perfect word combination to describe your reviews, Fabian-intellectually stimulating! ;)

Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨ I still don't understand why I am having the original book with me, when I can't read French. You are reading just the right books these days. :)

PS: The Stranger is going to be my textbook soon. I'll tell you why! :)

Councillor Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Well that's the perfect word combination to describe your reviews, Fabian-intellectually stimulating! ;)"

Wow, thank you a lot, Aj! ^^

Councillor Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨ wrote: "I still don't understand why I am having the original book with me, when I can't read French. You are reading just the right books these days. :)

PS: The Stranger is going to be my textbook soon. ..."

Oh, I really hope you'll like it then, Adita! :)

message 25: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review, Fabian :)

Councillor Deanna wrote: "Excellent review, Fabian :)"

Thanks, Deanna :)

message 27: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny Wonderful review, Fabian! :)

Emer Just brilliant summing up of how to approach the reading of this novel. Great stuff Fabian!!

Councillor Stephanie wrote: "Great review!! One I still need to read..."

Thank you, Stephanie! I hope you enjoy it :)

Councillor Jenny wrote: "Wonderful review, Fabian! :)"

Councillor Emer (ALittleHaze) wrote: "Just brilliant summing up of how to approach the reading of this novel. Great stuff Fabian!!"

Thank you a lot, Emer! :D

Anuradha Your last paragraph absolutely nailed the essence of this book!

Councillor Anuradha wrote: "Your last paragraph absolutely nailed the essence of this book!"