C.G. Drews's Reviews > This Is Our Story

This Is Our Story by Ashley Elston

bookshelves: 4-star, read-2017, young-adult, thriller-crime

WELL. Nothing like a bit o' murder amongst friends in a book. I quite enjoyed this one! I mean, I'm not sitting on a rooftop and yelling it's super original and I am squinting at how the secondary characters were pretty much small pancakes. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT?!? I couldn't put it down!! I really wanted to know!! And the premise 1000% intrigues me. And that cover, dude. [insert all the emoji heart eyes here] Also it really features the lawyer/case working side of things which is what I'm here for. I want to see them solving cases and doing crime scenes! I AM PLEASED.

(Erm, I swear I'm a nice person??? I just really love crime books???)

Also I fully wanted to read this because the cover reminds me of The Raven King which is only my faaaavourite book ever. And like it's about 4 rich boys. SO. Precious book. Obviously it's nothing like The Raven Cycle in terms of plot/characters because this is a crime novel and that's magical realism. BUT! I just am really pleased my attraction to it paid off!!

Basically the story is by Kate who's an assistant to the DA who has this case of 5-boys-went-hunting-and-4-returned. Kate's boss has a degenerative eye disease so she's pretty heavily involved in the case (reading transcripts; describing interviews, etc. for him) and that felt cool and realistic to me!! Plus all the court/attorney stuff felt realistic. Although this is coming from someone who knows less about law thingies than a hedgehog. Proved by the fact I just said "law thingies". bUT HEY I ENJOYED IT SO WHO CARES.

I thought Kate was pretty interesting, although kinda dumb. I mean obviously she's going to be involved with one of the boys. And obviously that's going to affect her work. But I thought it was clever how it was done and I liked their romance. (No instalove! God bless!) Although she was still 5000% dumb for how non-cautious she was fraternising with him. I mean, woman. Put thine hormones in a box and go file some paperwork or something.

(Oh and she actually had a cool female friend!! Like who wasn't knocked out of the story because who needs female friends. WE NEED FEMALE FRIENDS. HUZZAH, BECHDEL TEST.)

I, of course, was very interested to know the killer. There are four boys alive and they're basically assholes, except for The Actually Secretly Nice Boy™ whom Kate luuuuuves. It's a bit cliche. But hey, if something is well written, the cliches can survive. Pizza is pretty much cliche and I'm still a fan, mate. BUT MOVING FORWARD. My only complaint with the boys is that we really don't get to know them. We just get a shallow view. We know they've done seriously bad stuff and we want someone to go down for the murder. But I wish it was all a bit deeper?? Bit too black and white honestly??

But they were all stinkin' rich white boys who were doing drugs and playing with guns so ya know. Let's smack them all with sticks.

The writing was a small smidge slow, but still engaging. Hence the fact I couldn't put it down. And I like how we had a sort of anonymous snippet now and then from the killer's head, but you don't know who he is. AND NO I DIDN'T FIGURE IT OUT BECAUSE MY SHERLOCK SKILLS WERE ON HOLIDAYS APPARENTLY.
#shame

ALL IN ALL: this was a really engaging murder mystery that leaves you freaking out till the last page. I wish the characters had been more complex/dynamic though. That would've really sold it for me. Buuut still much to love! I mean, not that I love murder. Haha no. Stop looking at me like that. I am a nice person who does not spend their time thinking about forensics and solving crimes and wearing a Sherlock hat. No.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is Our Story.

February 13, 2016 – Shelved
February 13, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 5, 2017 – Started Reading
March 5, 2017 –
page 40
12.5% "Ooh! There's lots of analysing and forensic conversations happening here. GOOD. THAT'S WHAT I WANT."
March 5, 2017 –
page 207
64.69% "Attorney: ok so since you're working on this case DO NOOOOOT talk to any of the boys or be friends with them. Right???
Kate: Sure!
Kate: [STALKS THE BOYS AND BECOMES FRIENDS WITH ONE OF THEM]"
March 5, 2017 – Shelved as: 4-star
March 5, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
March 5, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 5, 2017 – Shelved as: thriller-crime
March 5, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam Whitehouse Great review. I may check this one out.

C.G. Drews @Sam: I hope you do! And thanks!

message 3: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam Whitehouse I'm reading Lies of Locke Lamora at the moment, one of your favourite books right?

C.G. Drews Omg YES. That is like one of my top 5 books of all time. How are you finding it?!

message 5: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam Whitehouse Epic. A bit over-descriptive in places, but it's funny, fast and clever.

message 6: by ClaireEva (new) - added it

ClaireEva Love this review! When are you publishing your own book Cait? I'm already addicted to your words :p

C.G. Drews @ClaireEva: Hopefully someday! ;D

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister (Erm, I swear I'm a nice person??? I just really love crime books???)...haha, me too!
Great review, Cait! :-)

C.G. Drews @Kristin: Thanks!! :D

message 10: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Joy I liked this review. I think if I come across this book I'll pick it up, though as I'm not wild about crime novels and I do like me some intense characters, I probably won't go looking for it. :)

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Miriam: Fair enough! I fully confess like 90% of the reason I wanted it was for Raven King aesthetic. XD