Gary's Reviews > Dark Run

Dark Run by Mike Brooks

it was ok

Dark Run is a predictable, low-engagement outer space western. There is a discernible difference between being derivative and being completely allergic to originality, and this book is a sterling example of the latter.
The story moves along at a brisk enough pace, and Brooks is a proficient and capable writer. All things considered, Dark Run is not terrible. But the fundamental problem, one that kept my ability to enjoy it in check, is the novel's protagonist. Ichabod Drift is meant to be a "likeable rogue" in the Mal Reynolds/Han Solo mold, but is not nearly as likeable as the author intends him to be. He's generally pretty shitty, and not even in an entertaining or compelling way. There were too many times I wondered why his crew didn't just shove him out an airlock and be done with him.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Run.

February 12, 2016 – Shelved
February 12, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
June 1, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Stevie (new) - added it

Stevie Kincade Thanks, your review convinced me not to spend any more time with this

Gary I'm here for you, man ;-)

message 3: by Stevie (new) - added it

Stevie Kincade lol thanks man. How are you finding "Revenger"?

message 4: by Christian (new)

Christian Orton Low engagement is right. I stopped at 60%. I actually finished Revenger last month myself and loved it. I don't read much sci fi, but have really enjoyed Revenger and Tuf Voyaging...but this book Dark Run really let me down. I never felt the compelling feeling to go one more page.