Sarah Whisted's Reviews > Sweetly

Sweetly by Jackson Pearce

bookshelves: books-i-own

I have mixed feelings about this book. I can’t deny that I wasn’t heavily engrossed in it. I read nearly all of it in one sitting. And I thoroughly enjoy Jackson’s writing, I’ve read all of her books to date and have her next two already on pre-order. But I think I misunderstood the direction this book would take.

[Warning: This paragraph contains spoilers; skip it if you don’t want to be spoiled] I realize Sweetly is part of a series, but I was under the impression all the books would not be tied to each other at all so when the “witch” turned out to be Fenris I just felt like Scarlett and Rosie from Sisters Red would suddenly show up as secondary characters somehow. Maybe it’s just that my memory of Hansel and Gretel isn’t very sharp, but I don’t recall it involving wolves. Maybe that’s what Jackson intended, and I don’t think it was bad, I just wasn’t expecting that at all. I was expecting more of a deeper retelling of Hansel and Gretel and what I feel like I got was some twisted way to turn Hansel and Gretel into a wolf story. Again, though, this wasn’t bad by any means. If when Fathomless arrives, it somehow loops the three very different retellings together; maybe this one reminding me of Sisters Red unexpectedly won’t feel so strange. They did end up at the ocean after all. ;) [End spoilers]

Don’t let my confusion sway you from reading this book though. The characters are strong, as always, and very different from each other. I love the very clear bond between Gretchen and Ansel. I love the way they reflect on the past. I love Gretchen’s determination to be stronger. It’s really empowering to read. (I admit I’m already planning another trip to the gun range after finishing the book so I can feel a little badass like Gretchen!) And the ending is brutally unexpected in this awesomely refreshing way! All in all, it’s a rich story with vivid scents and pictures in its words, and emotions that become your own. Totally worth the read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetly.

March 15, 2011 – Shelved