Kathleen's Reviews > The Supergirls: Fashion, Feminism, Fantasy, and the History of Comic Book Heroines

The Supergirls by Mike Madrid

2028832
Mar 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: comics, history, non-fiction, read-in-2011
Read in March, 2011

A good, hard look at female superheroes over the history of comics, I actually found this book uplifting. It's true that women have traditionally been presented as less powerful, less heroic, and more interested in romance than their male counterparts. However, as someone who goes to her LCS and feels guilty that only three of my ten favorite titles "star" women, it's nice to realize how much better the industry has to have gotten that I can like any of them. Zatanna Zatara may still wear fishnets when she fights crime, but her name is on the top of her book and she's one of the most powerful characters around. The Birds of Prey are all hard core enough that Batman has been working for Oracle in this latest arc, and I don't mean Dick Grayson. So it is nice to read a story like this, lean back, and say, "you've come a long way baby."

Also, not for nothing, it helped me appreciate Wonder Woman enough that I might give her book another stab even though every time I try to read Wonder Woman I just feel frustrated and bored.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Supergirls.