Carla Dash's Reviews > Who Fears Death

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor

May 01, 2017

liked it

I have mixed feelings about this book. It's got a lot of the kinds of things I love: future dystopia, POC protagonist and cast, sorcery, dealing with heavy issues (I mean REALLY heavy, i.e., genocide, ethnic cleansing, FGM, sexism, racism...) in a non-preachy way, a refusal (mostly) to paint in braod strokes, black and white, good and evil. And on the whole, I liked it. But for a novel that is grappling with such serious issues, it has a surpring amount of stupid YA drama that is treated with the same weight as the heavy stuff. Also, there were a number of events that I literally did not understand logistically. As in, I could not ascertain what actually happened from the descrption. As well, though the magic was cool, I never really understood how it worked or why Onye was able to do so much more than other sorcerers. The magic also was used as an easy way to negate or combat issues that should have been way beyond the scope of one person to fix. Aaaaand lastly, I found the text to be so contradictory with itself in terms of its big ideas as to be frustraing. I understand trying to make characters and situations complex, but sometimes I just want to know, what is the message I'm supposed to walk away with here?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Fears Death.

February 12, 2016 – Shelved