Erica Chilson's Reviews > Ravishing Ruby

Ravishing Ruby by Lavinia Kent

4182064

liked it
bookshelves: 3-star, erotica, historical-romance, sex-fest, wickedreads

I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

3 Ravishing Stars.

Finally a complete novel dedicated to the intriguing madam of the series, after giving readers a small taste in an earlier short novella. After so much buildup, there was a lot to live up to in this novel. Was it a success?

Ravishing? Yes.
Ruby? No.

I will admit, I have a love/hate affair with this series. There are elements I absolutely adore, while there are more I don't. I love historical romance, and prefer one that is more character&story-driven, versus insta-love/lust-driven. So keep that in mind during the following review.

In previous books, I loved the underlying story until it became a between-the-sheets-fest that buried the plot underneath the bed. Ravishing Ruby is lacking any and all development & buildup.

Ravishing Ruby begins 3 months after Revealing Ruby. Emma's pining away for Derek as she counsels one of her clients. I was actually interested in his particular story but knew it was just a lead in. In walks Derek, who throws himself because Ruby is touching the hand of said client.

From this point forward, it was most definitely page after page of Ravishing Ruby. 2 scenes before the 10% mark. Which leaves little time for the reader to connect to the characters, or understand why they're always 'connected' to each other. This is coming from a reader who also read Revealing Ruby. Unless I read it immediately prior, this story felt instantaneous with no build up. So fast that instead of hot, I felt whiplash.

Narration: Ruby/Emma's narration was more enjoyable to read, because she was more serious and developed in the beginning, then more juvenile and wishy-washy. While, at first, Derek had a one-track mind that left me feeling as he is was written one-dimensional. So I had a hard time buying their intense connection past the shallow lust, because Derek showed no interest in anything but Ruby's 'dumplings' & 'rear view'. Derek says several times over how Emma is not the wh*re Ruby portrays, yet all he sees in her is his sexual fantasies playing out and instant gratification.

Frankly, other than playing together, I felt nothing between these characters, even with a previous novella dedicated to them. As a reader, I was disconnected emotionally. As a female reader, my mind and emotions are connected to the heat source the author is trying to spark in me. With my mind not engaged and not connecting to the characters, none of it came together.

The underlying story itself felt drawn-out and bogged down with repetition. All conflict could have been resolved if the characters didn't drag their feet every step of the way except to the bedroom. The story was the passenger with the lust scenes as the driver.

Even with my critical review, I highly recommend Ravishing Ruby to fans of the Bound & Determined series, who love more smexy than story. If this type of read is your thing, guaranteed it will leave you flushed with delight.

Will I continue on with this series: No, it's obviously not to my taste. I need more. I just need... more than sex. More.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ravishing Ruby.

February 12, 2016 – Started Reading